Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Anne Date - Winner of Women Open 84km, with a New Record

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Anne Date - After marathon success, another success in the Ultra-marathon (84km)

An Interview with Anne Date
(Champion of Women Ultramarathon, 84km)

What was the reason for running the Ultramarathon, 84km run in the Sundown marathon?
It was for fun. It is something that I have not done in my life yet. I wanted to know what it takes to run a 84k, and how it feels like during and after the run. It is to experience the amazing feeling of push our body to a level that we don't often go to.

How tough was the race, if you can rate it 1 to 10?
Note: 1 is very easy....5 is quite tough and 10 is very tough.
I give an 8 for this.

Who was your nearest competitor?
I don't know her as she was quite far, about 5k behind. I was not able to see her much during the race.

What was the time that you have managed?
It was 7hours 59minutes and 56sec. This is an official time.

Are you happy with this time?
I have never been so happy with my race time, always wanting to make it faster.

Were you mentally and physically prepared for this race?
Mentally, the answer is a yes but physically, my answer is a no.

How was your husband's support?
He was the main reason why I was having so much confident to think that I was going to finish the race. Without him driving around supporting me by giving me drinks and gels for fuel, I would have a bit of a hard time to feed myself whilst I was on the run. I was very happy to see him from point to point and this made my race not to look like it is long.

How was the feeling when you cross the line for the 84km?
I was excited about the finish. This is always the part that  I love most. I could not believe that I actually finished the race, quite surreal.

How were your feelings like when you knew that you are first?
I did not think much about being first. I felt happy but that's not what I was looking for from this race. I feel that the only thing that makes me so happy was to think that I was the finisher of the ultra-marathon.

Can you describe the feeling of breaking the women's record for the 84km?
The record was not so difficult to attain and the time I did was nowhere close to the good level of international standard, so I don't really feel like I am on top of the world. I would feel that way maybe, next time, if I go under 7hr 40min.

Can you tell the problems you went through, if any, during the run?
I felt very sleepy at the 55km. My calf felt as though that there was some golf ball stuck inside from 43km and all the way to finish.

Do you have any future target and race/s that you want to work on?
From now onwards I am going to work on reducing my 10kg weight and am hoping to do the half marathon races.
 

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.