Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Loughbrough Echo 10km Race - 31min 46sec (Mar, 1993)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Loughborough Echo 10km Run - Run of My Life

This happened about 5 weeks before the London Marathon (2hr 29min) Apr, 1993.

I remember, after running for Loughborough University in 3 cross-country races of the first league cross- country championships 1993, finally, I was registered by the Loughborough University to run in the Loughborough Echo race. In the race banner, at the start of the race, I saw the phrase 'Loughbrough University - the Mecca of Running'. At that time, Paula Radcliff, the world record holder for the marathon, was a student of Loughborough University. Loughborough University was where Sebastian Coe came from. There was a time where Sebastian Coe broke 4 world records in Athletics - 800m, 1km, 1500m and 1600m - within 41 days. At that time, Sebastian Coe was from Loughborough University. Once, I even met Jack Buckner (13m 10sec), who was once a 2nd runner-up in the World Cup race, running along with Alan and me for a run. That was why I guess the word Mecca was labelled on Loughborough University. It was famous for producing top athletes of the world in England.

Best of the best in Loughborough University
I also saw the youth runners who were the best from Wales, Scotland and Ireland, both male and female, coming over to Loughborough University to study. For example, I found out from reading running magazines that my friend and fellow research partner Gordon Reid was the champion of Scotland Men Junior category National Cross-Country Championships. He had a personal best of 14min 47sec for the 5km at that time. All became my cross-country mates over time.

Loughborough Echo Race
I realised that the race was organised by one of the top athletes in England. As this was one of the few road races that I was about to participate, before the start of the race, I started to remain focus by stretching in the changing room, at the university. I wanted to avoid the cold outside also. I saw some people in the changing room but they were not runners. I was able to stretch well there.

My Great Friend Tony Bignell
After stretching, I went towards the starting point and there I saw some of my friends. One of my friend's name was Tony Bignell, the vice-captain of Loughborough Athletics Club. He was, as ever, always encouraging me to run well in the race, although he was not running in the race as he was a middle-distance runner (1500m - 3min 44sec). He was one of the best person I have ever met in my life. When I did my 2hrs 29min for London, it was Tony Bignell who gave me the accommodation. He gave my friend Arul and me a better room, while he slept on a not so comfortable bed, outside.


In Loughborough, Tony became a good friend of mine when after a steady run outside, we were at the track jogging and he asked me, " Are you the one who has a personal best of 2hrs 30min for the marathon?". I realised that this was the super-fast guy, about eighteen years of age, who came in as the fastest cross-country runner of Loughborough University in the 1st league cross-country race. It was a humbling experience. Never did I think that he will talk to me. I was surprised by him asking me this question. I felt elated. As soon as I told him yes, he started to be very friendly and over time we became best of friends. It was from him that I knew that I was the second-best marathon runner at Loughborough University at that time.

Start of the Race
As I was going towards the start point of the Loughborough Echo 10km race, I approached Tim Dickinson. He came in fourth in the Nationals Cross Country Junior Championships 1993 in England. Tim used to ask me on how to improve on stamina for long-distance. His performance shot up with his improvement in stamina. It was Tim who introduced Alan Guilder, who from a year of being my training partner became my coach. My gratitude goes to Tim for letting me to know Alan and to train with the latter.  It took me a year to get to know  Alan Guilder. Alan was married with two sons at that time. Since Alan had a wonderful character and a two time per week church-goer, I decided to ask Alan to coach me for the Berlin Marathon in Sept 1993. Anyway, it is a piece of good news for me as Tim has, very recently, a year or two years ago from now, done a 2hr 23min for one of the marathons. I thought that he has given up running after university education. I was very happy and impressed with Tim's recent performance. 

My strategies with Tristan
Before the start of the race, another of my friend, Tristan told me to pace and run together during the race. Usually, Tristan and I were about the same standard. I like Tristan as a friend because he is very friendly with me and he talks to me in a friendly and matured manner. He gives a lot of respect when he talks to me. I also respected him a lot. Both of us sometimes win and sometimes lose races and most of the time we do not know who is better in a race. The thing about Tristan is that he doesn't brag to anyone even if he does very well. Tristan was one of the greatest friends I have come across as well.

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed
Tony Bignell, Tristan and Tim Dickson were also giving me great help in my research project by becoming a subject. Each of them sacrificed individually their 3 sessions of an hour practical test for our research purpose. My stay in England was very fruitful, pleasurable and memorable because of these gentlemen. The sweet and fond memories are still lingering on my mind on these friends who gave me the push and encouragement, courage, challenge and friendship. They were very kind to me.

The Race
Coming back to the race, after doing warm-up and stretching, many people just gathered for the race. Later on, the race just started and it was an exciting sight for me. Many started to run fast. I saw a slightly bald-headed man slowing opening up the gap and increasing the lead. I was just running as per normal, not to run too fast off at the start. Tim was boldly was able to follow the person who was first in the race. Meanwhile, Tristan and I kept running together. We kept hitting good timing, such that we could reach in 32min flat for the 10km.  (It is interesting to note that at that time, the entry for the University Games in England was sub 32min for Loughborough University. When I saw this at Loughborough University Athletics notice board, I saw no hope because of my personal best of 32min 42sec run time in Singapore. It was like asking for the impossible). In the race, I kept at it, by pacing myself well. The distance marker was placed very prominently. Tristan and I worked in a cooperative manner.

Hitting the Mark on Time
At the two-kilometre marker, I was with Tristan still. However, Tim Dickinson was way of in front in me and I tried to cover the grounds that I have lost. At that juncture, it is important to note that at one time, I can remember Tim and Alan, once achieving 48min plus for 15.2km steady run in one of the run. This was done at Loughborough University, which was I guess a Tuesday when that took place.

A Fast 5km Split Time of 15min 40sec
At the 3km, Tristan and I managed to stay together. This went on until we hit the 4km marker. I realised that my friend Tristan was having stomach problems. Noticing this, he told me to go ahead with my pace. I decided to keep pace for the 32min flat timing for the 10km. The surprising thing was that at the 5km marker, I was doing 15m 40sec. I felt very strong at this point. As I was running, I told myself that the double of this distance and time will give me 31m 20sec for 10km run. I also realised that the Singapore record at that time was 31min 19min. I was a bit apprehensive whether I was running too fast. After the 5km mark, I realised that my position was 10th. Tim was far in front and I could not see him. I decided to focus on my race. It was after 5km that I realised that, without Tristan, I was running with apprehension whether I can do a sub 32min. I was running fast and Tristan was fading away.

The Hunter and Hunted Feeling
At this point, I felt that there was nobody to chase and no one to run away from. This was not good. I liked situations where I am chasing the person in front of me, about 10-20metres away, and the idea of many behind chasing me. I liked the hunter who is hunting and the feeling of being hunted. This I felt would always keep me alert at all times and keep running hard at all times during the race. Hence, the next 5km was a very difficult split to run as I have to go solo. It was mind over matter. If there was someone to follow or chase or being hunted, I would have done even better. I tried to encourage Tristan by talking to him that he can do it, at the 4km mark, but he just fell back and faded away.

The Last 1km Winding Up
At the same time, the top nine (men open category) runners were far in front. I tried to get near them but the runner was at least 150 to 200m in front of me. I told myself to keep chasing. This was going on until I reached the last 1km. I told myself to wind up the race strongly and go for it. With all my might and by mustering all my strength, I was opening up myself to the finish from the last 1km marker. While doing this, I saw my friends, Justin Fernandez (the present Head of Dept of Queensway Sec Sch) and Benjamin Kwok (the present vice-principal of Bendemeer Sec Sch) going from their house in Loughborough to the direction where the town's market was. I was so focused to the point that I did not talk but I was able to wave at them a bit. When they saw me, they started cheering for me. I raced all the way and then I had to turn left suddenly and run about 200metres and then do another 200metres stretch to finish the run with a sprint finish.

My 31min 46sec Achievement
When I was about to finish, there was exhilaration on my face as I saw the timing was 31min plus. I gave the final push by working on my hands and legs to the finish and finally ended the race with a time of 31min 46sec. The last 1km time was 3min 06sec. Tony congratulated me. I congratulated my friend Tim, who came with a time of 30min 30sec. The first guy did a time of about 30min 04sec. Tristan finished the race, just a few seconds behind some runners. His time was still a sub 33min.

Selected for SEA Games and University Games
I was telling myself of how on earth I was able to do this kind of timing as my mileage for the past week was 70km per week. It was very low for me. I had to do 5 tests on that particular week. It was a stressful week. Instead of going 16km per day, the decision to run 10km per day finally helped me a lot. I believe that the reduction of mileage must have given enough rest for my body. I also told myself to reduce my mileage. With no test and my usual mileage, I believe that I could have run much faster and got a better time if someone has been in front of me by about 10 to 20metres. Later on, I was asked several times whether I want to run at the University Games in England. To this, I told myself that since the day of the race was around the exam period, it would be advisable not to run. The SEA Games 1993 and the University Games were during my exam period. I told myself that it is better to use common sense and finish the exam first and do away with the two invitation to run that I was getting. I was looking into the future somewhere far far away to do well in the marathon.

It was a blow for me as I was not to run in the University Games because of exams. I wanted to run in the University Games more than running the SEA Games as the University Games was something big for me. I realised that Tim and I made it to the Games as we were the athletes who were the best two for the race of Loughborough University. Thanks should finally go to Alan Guilder for assisting us in our training. Thanks should also go to Sonia McGeorge (1500m - 4min 05sec, personal best) for doing morning runs with us. She used to bring us for a good easy run pace which helped me improve in my aerobic capacity.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.