Sunday, June 6, 2010

Claire Soon - Cross-Country Runner cum President Scholar (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

After the President's Scholarship:
An Interview with Hwa Chong's 50th President's Scholar Claire Soon

Claire clinched the school's 50th President's Scholarship this year, maintaining Hwa Chong's position at the top of the list, as the school that has produced the highest number of President's Scholars amongst all junior colleges. President of the 34th Student's Council, she also did us proud by winning the Lee Kuan Yew Award for All-Round Excellence and the Ong Teng Cheong Award for outstanding leadership. Claire is reading History at Kebie College, Oxford.



1. Tell us, what have you been up to?
So much has changed over the past year it's hard to track or describe. I've been essentially trying to explore paths I might not have had the chance to before, and packing in as much as I can.

2. What are some fond memories that you have to Hwa Chong?
I think my fondest memories are probably just the everyday moments that makeup one's school experience- talking with friends, sitting at the class benches and getting to know the people around (including the teachers!) better.

3. To what or whom do you attribute your accomplishments and why?
Any accomplishments I've had I owe to the people in my life - my parents, teachers and friends especially. It sounds like such a cliche, but it's so true. I do think I've been incredibly lucky in how I've had outstanding individuals come into my life at various points in time: people who've changed the way I see the world and be inspirational.

4. Any advice for your juniors?
Do what you want to do and what you think is worthwhile - don't ever feel pressured into taking up an activity for the sake of building up your portfolio, or the meaning will be taken out of the activity. And treasure the people around you.

5. What do you look forward to most in university? Why did you choose to read History at Oxford?
There's so much I look forward to university! I have to admit that the intellectual stimulations probably at the top of my list - it's amazing to be in a place where your professors are at the cutting edge of academia! But beyond that, the opportunities for travelling and finding out more about the world around me are really exciting as well. Living in a different culture is a fascinating experience- one of the primary reasons why I chose to come to the UK was because I'm half-British and wanted to discover this half of my heritage. I'm getting new surprises every day, albeit ones I could do without at times, e.g. how you can literally be blown off course by the wind. I chose to do History because I believe understanding the past is essential to understanding the present and that one needs to know the story of humanity to know oneself - and, basically, to cut a long story short, because I love the subject.

The author wishes Claire Soon all the best in her endeavours!
 

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.