Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mr Chan Meng Hui - Preparing for Std Chartered Marathon 2010 (At Age 80)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Mr Chan Meng Hui - AGE IS NO BARRIER

My Experience With Mr Chan Meng Hui - Appreciation and Gratitude

As I know Mr Chan Meng Hui, he has helped me so much in my running that I can call him as my mentor. He deserves to be called this way because of his selfless services rendered to help me.

In the past, I had to go for some foreign races. Mr Chan was the one who helped me with accommodation and transport. Even to register for the event, he came forward to do it. The best thing about him is that he even paid for everything. For me, I always pay him back even though he does not ask me anything back.

From all the race arrangements I got a very good experience in races, especially in Malaysia. The first race that he helped me ended up in me running against M. Ramachandran in the KL Half- Marathon. I came in 4th with a personal best time of 1hr 14min. A day before that I came in first in the SAA Cross - Country race. I realised that I could have done better for the race if I had not run the cross-country race. That happened about 20 plus years back. Hence, I have great appreciation and gratitude to this kind and noble person who went the extra mile to help me go further in my running performance.

Having said about Mr Chan's selfless service, it would be good to find out more about him in this question and answer session.

Interview Questions Posed to Mr Chan Meng Hui

What is your age now?
80 years old.

When did you start running?
At the age of 55, after retirement. Before that, I was a chain smoker. I was a regular nite club drinker and a bar visitor. I did not engage in many exercises earlier on and I was quite fat with my pot belly out. I was very unfit then, with a height of 1.56m and weight of 65kg.

Why was your reason for taking running as a passion?
Actually, I met some runners who motivated me, especially those from MacRitchie Reservoir, in the past. After meeting them, I took up running as a hobby and over time I was inspired to kick away all bad habits. Thanks to running for giving me the willpower to do this. I also want a new lease of life after my early part of my life. The second part of my life, I wanted my life to be a more meaningful and a healthy one.

Now that you are 80 years old, are you still running?
To date, I am still running. I have done 86 marathons already. The last that I ran was this year, 24th Jan 2010. I ran this in order to remember and celebrate my 80th birthday. The run I did was Khong Kheng (Bangkok) International Marathon. I did the run in a time of 7 hr 19 min.

How is your running routine per week like?
I usually run half an hour to an hour per day. In one week, I am running around 30km per week. I still find this as not enough and am finding ways to increase my mileage. Can you give me the way,.....ha ha ha ...Just joking only.

Do you encounter any injuries at this age of 80?
Fortunately, nothing at all.

What is your fastest marathon time ever?
At the age of 56, I took part in the Kuala Lumpur International Marathon, running a distance of 42.195km in a time of 3 hrs 26 min. This was my best time ever, to date.

How many marathons do you run in the past and now?
In the past, I average my annual marathon runs running 4-5 full marathon per year. However, due to my work commitment, I could only do, currently 2-3 marathon per year, both local and regional marathons.

Is your wife supportive in this?
Ha Ha... When I am busy running, I do not give any kind of problem to my wife. She is happy and contented with my calm behaviour. If I do not run, I give problems to my wife...ha ha ha. Over time, I feel that running does relieve my stress. Hence, I get my wife's full support in this. Thank God for this, to have a wife who is supportive of my passion.

How about your children's support in this?
My sons are very supportive of this. My grandson, about 12 years old, is currently taking up running as a sport. This is good news for me.

What is your goal in life when it comes to running?
My wish is to possibly run at least one hundred marathons. I have 14 marathons left to finish this. Also, I do not foresee any problem in accomplishing this.

What is your short term goal in running?
I have already signed up for this year's Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 (Singapore). I would like to run the race in a reasonable time.

What advice would you give to those who want to take up running?
Running is a very good sport to keep the body and mind sound. The strength I have at present, I feel, comes from running. Mentally, I am still alert, like look at me now, I am talking to you with zest..ha ha ha.

What advice would you give to runners after 40/50/60/70/80?
Age is no barrier. Running will keep you fit. Trust me, fellow men...ha ha ha.


We wish Mr Chan all the best for his upcoming Standard Chartered Marathon (Singapore) 2010. To contact him, e-mail him at  chanmh01@singnet.com.sg

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.