Friday, February 22, 2013

Zoo Run 2013 - Sumitha Does 1hr 08min 13sec for 12km race

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Report By Marcel Sng

Sumitha - This is her second race of her life. 

Picture 1 - I was happy to sprint at the finish point.

Sumitha, 45,  ran in the 10km race of the POSB 10km run last year doing a time of 1hr 02min. In this year's race, she decided to take part in the Zoo Run 12km run. 

I interviewed her as she is our Flexifitness Athlete. 

An Interview With Sumitha

What was your goal in the past and now?
In the past, I had no goals. Now having trained with Flexifitness, I wanted to just run below 1hr 20min for POSB Run in 2012. Having done 1hr 02min, I made a decision to do a sub 1hr 10min for the Zoo 12 km Run. 

Are you pleased with the result?
Of course, I am very pleased with the result. I am more than happy. In the past, I did not want to compete in races. After training with Flexifitness group sessions on weekdays, I have developed some confidence to run a good time. 

How do you find the route?
There are some winding routes, that's all,

Why did you run in the race?
It was for charity and raise funds for the Zoo Run and for improving my time as well. 

Were you prepared for the race?
I was training 3 times per week, that's all. 

Do you like to run the Zoo Run again?
Yes, of course, it was organised well and I like it. Credit should go to the organisers.

What is your next goal?
My next goal is to run in the half -marathon in the Standard Chartered marathon 2013 and if possible to run in the Gold Coast marathon 2014. 

What is making you run the marathon?
I am very inspired by people finishing the marathon in the past. Anyone who runs and complete in the marathon, I believe that they are very strong in the mind and they can achieve almost anything if they asked to do. This is my firm belief. To run the marathon, it is very important to prepare oneself and it can take months and years. 

Are you improving in running?
Definitely, I am in fact getting much faster as I age. This is something that I cannot believe. After attaining a 1hr 08min, I believe that I can run a sub-1hr in the future, in one or two years time.

Do you have any advice to people above 40?
Keep running! Running will make your life worthwhile. It is good to age gracefully and be fit throughout life to enjoy a quality life. The more you don't run or do sport, the faster you age as your muscle and bones will get weaker. So keep exercising by running, that is my message.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.