Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bobby Ng (Part 1) - 2 hr Improvement in Kaohsiung marathon, 24th Sun, Feb, 2013

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Bobby Ng - Improves time of 7hr 29min to 5hr and 30min for the marathon and weight loss of 8.5kg in 2months by not waiting. 

Picture 1 - Bobby Ng, second from right of the photo, with his University friends.


When I met Bobby Ng two weeks ago, he was a massive 102kg person. He wanted to run the Hong Kong Marathon and did not get the spot for it. He had to forgo that and do a marathon and he aimed at Kaohsiung Marathon. 

Bobby was very worried whether he will finish the race. On Sunday, after running the race, he put up a photo and some wording that he had done the 5 hour 30min eventually. It was on Facebook that I found out. He also thanked me on Facebook. 

I also realised that the reason for him to do well is that he is a man of gratitude and is very appreciate about the assistance that you do for him.

Not only he broke his personal best time but he also trimmed the waistline from 102kg to 93.5kg, a massive 8.5kg reduced in 2 months. I gave him an interview so that many overweight people out there are motivated by this man of iron determination. 

Picture 2 - The more athletic-looking Bobby Ng (left) with his friend Nathan Chen


An Interview With Bobby Ng. 

What was happening to you in the past in terms of your weight?
I tried reducing my weight but to no avail.

Can you share with us on how many kgs you had shed?
I shed a total of 8.5kg. 

How long did it take you to do it?
Roughly 2 months. 

How were you able to achieve it?
Through the advice of Flexifitness on fitness, diet and training. I simply applied what has been advised.

What did your girlfriend say?
She told me that she was very happy about this and asked me to work further on it to go down gradually and capitalise on the current weight. 

What is your next target?
To go to 80kg weight, by the end of the year.

Can you give more details on how you really did it?

I started to watch my diet and became aware of it. I joined the training programme which fell on Tuesday and Thursday night sessions.

Can you tell us on why you came down when it was still raining?
I was determined to come for training - rain or shine. I did not want to procrastinate. Procrastination belongs to losers. I had to brave the weather to do my consistent training and the results are outwardly shown in the end. There were times when there was very heavy rain and I somehow had made it to the training sessions using my will to come down, by hook or by crook.


When you joined our programme, did you expect to go as low as 93.5kg?

Obviously not, I thought that this (102kg) is going to be my weight for some years to come. Even if I drop my weight, I believed that it would not be significant.



Do you have any opinion on Flexifitness training?

Good progressive training which is not boring. I find the endurance training very effective. I am looking forward to the next season for training. 



How was your race throughout?
I was surprised that I was able to run well. In the past at 11 -12km the pain in my leg becomes unbearable. I was surprised that currently there was mileage in my leg and I knew that I could go far with a better speed. With reduced weight, I was able to move faster. 


How did you feel about your time?

Very sweet


Do you think that you could have done a better time?
I missed a turning point and lost about 10min there. I had to go to the toilet once and this took my precious time away for the run time. While running, I did a hi-five to the children which finally made me tired.  Else, I believe I could have done a 5hr 15min time.



What is your next target?
Having done a near 2 1/2 hour massive improvement, my next target is to do a 4hr 30min for the next marathon, either Sundown or KL marathon 2013. 


How was the weather during the marathon?
The weather kind and it was cooling on the day of the run. 


Can you share with us on what the training methodology of Flexifitness has done for you?

The difference is that in the past I was tired easily in a marathon. Now it is not like that.


What do you wish to tell people?

Don’t lose heart and don't wait by missing training. 

Believe in yourself that you can do it and stop delaying your achievement of goals by not waiting.

Newcomer Kasi Does 48min for Zoo Run, A personal best time


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.