Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Richard Dalton Does 42min 24sec in U Run 10km

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By M.Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Richard Dalton - Aim is to go for London and then go to the Boston Marathon in the long run

Richard Dalton ran the U race 10km and did 42min 24sec. In the past, he had a personal best time of 46min plus. He came to me to be coached. Later on, after some bouts of training, he left for Perth and he did a 10km race in 40min 15sec and did a very good personal best. The race was cooler and the humidity was good. 

Very recently, he did a 42min 24sec in the U run 10km in Singapore. He told me that the humidity and the weather were not favourable to him. He told me that starting at slightly earlier would have been more appropriate. I agreed with this statement and told him that he had actually done a personal best ever for a Singapore weather with a time of 42min 24sec. 

I told him that the fastest time I have ever done was 2hr 24min 22sec It was a marathon race done in Chiangmai, Thailand. 

In Singapore weather, Although I did the best time for the marathon ever as a Singaporean by doing 2hr 34min, it was not easy doing this time and I had cramps during the race. 

Listening to this story of mine, he felt consoled. After looking at the overall list, he realised that he was ranked 17th in men's open. This made his day finally and he felt very happy about this. 

I decided to interview him on his recent run in the U run 10km. 

An Interview With Richard Dalton.

What was the race called?
U-Run 10k

How was the time of the distance of the route that you ran?
42min 24sec

Why did you choose this race?
I wanted to do a 10k race to see how my fitness was progressing and the date of this race suited my schedule.

Are you happy with the race?
 The race itself was well organized and the route ok (Marina Bay) though it was a bit congested where the 10k joined the 15k route (typical for these races!). Had hoped for a faster time as this was 2-3m off my PB although that was set in Perth in 0% humidity!

What race are you planning to do in the future?
The main focus is the London marathon in April. All my training is targeted for this race.

What kind of time that you are going for? 
My current PB is 3h38m so the goal is to get under 3h30m but I have one eye on the Boston qualifying time which is 3h10m for my age group.

Are you confident of attaining it?
Sub- 3h30 should be no problem. I think the Boston time is reachable if everything goes to plan but I need to keep training and stay injury-free.

How is your training going on so far?
With Coach's help, it's going well. My mileage is up to around 80-90km per week. Long runs of 30k feel good and I'm seeing progress in my hard sessions. Also, I'm losing some muscle mass and starting to look more like a long-distance runner!

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.