Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Johnson Jacob - Still going strong

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Dan Johnson Jacob Held on 19th/20th of January 2013.

Picture 1 - Johnson Jacob, about to reach 50 years of age, still going strong


Johnson Jacob was my classmate in primary school. He was with Christian Stauffer and Mika Kume for the 250km Sahara Desert Challenge in the year 2009 and I was amazed by the group's performance. It was like a superhuman performance.

In the past, Johnson was not that active in running as I know him in our primary school days. Over time, he picked up triathlon, ironman and later on even the 250km Sahara Challenge. I just hope that this would rub on to people who are looking for a challenge in life.

Recently, I was amazed by his performance in the 100km Vibram Hong Kong 100km challenge. When he completed this, I decided to do a blog post of his achievement. 

Picture 2- A Panoramic Scenic View during the Hong Kong Trail Run





What was the race called that you ran?
Vibram Hong Kong 100km 2013.

How was your preparation for this race?
I wasn't that prepared for the race. My mileage in early December was around 97km per week. I soon fell sick due to the sudden increase in mileage. As soon as I recovered, my youngest daughter, Krystal, became ill. Her condition was only diagnosed on Christmas Day and since she was hospitalized and I was unable to continue with my training. I was seriously contemplating whether to go for the race or not. On the week of 19th January (Race date), a few days away, I did a 20km run and a 10km run, back to back. I flew off to Hong Kong on the 17th of January. I told myself that I was going to take this as my training race for the UTMF (Ultra-Trail Mount Fuji) in April, a 100 mile (161km) race.
 
Was was the time taken for this race?
I was only going for completion as I did not have much time to train. As such, I told myself that I would only look at my watch when I reach the 7th station which was 73km. My upslope climb was so much stronger than my descend from the mountains. I continued to push as the memories of what my youngest daughter has gone through kept playing in my mind. I was saddened upon recalling these moments. It also gave me some new found strength to do nothing short of my best. I was happy to reach the 73km (7th station). By that time, I was confident to complete the race. 

Are you happy with your time?
I was happy because, at the 7th station, I knew I was within the time to take home a bronze trophy for my daughter. It is a 32 hour cut off the race. Sub-16 hours - Gold. Sub-20 hours - Silver. Sub-24 hours - Bronze. I completed in 21 hours 12 minutes.


What is your next target?
My next target - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz6NFimVGgg

Vibram Hong Kong 100
The Vibram® Hong Kong 100 is an ultra-endurance race that takes place in Hong Kong.  The 100km course starts in Pak Tam Chung on the Sai Kung Peninsula and covers some of the most beautiful scenery in Hong Kong, including remote and unspoilt beaches, ancient forests, nature trails, reservoirs and steep hills.  The course is based around Hong Kong's famous Maclehose Trail, but with some diversions to ensure that runners spend more time in its most scenic sections, as well as finishing with the descent from Hong Kong's highest peak (Tai Mo Shan).  The course involves a cumulative elevation gain of over 4500 meters and the cut-off time is 32 hours.  This is a unique, challenging and beautiful run for the trail running enthusiast and a chance to take part in an unforgettable event.
  
www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.