Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sumitha 1st time 10km - 1hr 02m in POSB RUN

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng

Manager of Flexifitness, Sumitha Does 1hr 02min for POSB 10km Run 2012

We know Ms Sumitha as the manager of Flexifitness. At first, she was only a weekly runner, running once a week. Recently, she had been training three times per week, running 8km for a single run. In the past, she used to run 3km to 5km in one run.

She finally decided to run in the POSB 10km race to see her fitness standard. She planned to do a 1hr 20min at least as a target to do for this year.

She reached Marina Promontory at 6 30am. When she reached the start of the race, it was all packed with people. When the race started, she was 2min away from the start. She was not really bothered by the start as she had just wanted to take it easy during the run as it was her first time running.

Gladly enough, she finished the race with a sprint finish. As a manager of Flexifitness, she ran with an excellent time by doing 1hr 02min in this first race.

In the past, in her 20s and 30s, without running any races, she used to run 3 to 5km per week near her house. Then, in her late 30s and early 40s, she stopped for the time being and took to Yoga exercises.

Now, with the team of Flexifitness coaches, she has set herself as an example to keep herself fit in terms of cardio by running.

As such, I found this very interesting and decided to give Sumitha an interview on her first 10km race and find out whether she will run in the future.

Picture 1 - (left to right) Coach Rameshon and Sumitha (Manager of Flexifitness)

 













What made you run?
Firstly, we wanted to support this race as it was for charity. Another reason for running is that Coach Rameshon is my husband, I admire him as he is able to keep himself fit throughout life. My way of fitness was different from him. I do yoga exercises while he is mad about running until now. He has never lost his passion for running. Another reason for me to run is when Ashley Liew inspired and motivated me by encouraging me to run for the fun of it in the POSB race or any upcoming races. That made sense to me, hence I gave it a shot to run finally.

How was the feeling before, during and after the run?
Before the run, I told myself to enjoy the run and don't go for time. Coach Rameshon told me to just complete the race and not compete. Hence, I followed his instruction. I did not feel stressed. Moreover, I was enjoying the scenery at Marina Promontory. During the run, I felt great at first, however, I was getting very tired over time. Only at the last 1km, I heard Flexifitness athletes and parents cheering for me. Coach Rameshon shouted out loud to drive with my hands, hence, that was the time that I made a sprint finish till the end. After the race, I felt elated that I had finished the race.

Did you know the timing right after the race?
No, I did not know. I was telling myself that my timing should be around 1hr 04min.Only yesterday I was told that my time was 1hr 02min. If I was not 100m from the start of the race, I would have done sub-1hour. Coach Rameshon told me this.

How was the organisation of the race?
Excellent, only that they could set up some computers, about 8 of them for people to view their results. I believe that we already have this technology to get results early. 

How did Coach Rameshon feel about your race?
He told me that in future, I could run half-marathon. Right now, I would like to celebrate the completing of the race rather than thinking about the future. 

How about your future plans?
I would like to run the half-marathon, not in the immediate future, but later on. In my life, I would like to see myself doing a sub - 4hrs in a marathon race. 

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.