Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Stauffer Family in Meta Sprint Duathlon Challenge 01/04/2012

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Written by Marcel Sng

Picture 1 - The Stauffer Family (left to right) Eva, Christian, Charles and Louise (green t-shirt)



On a Saturday, 1/04/2012, Coach Rameshon told Christian Stauffer that Ashley Liew will be taking part in the Meta- Sprint Duathlon Challenge. At the same time, Coach Rameshon asked Christian whether he is taking part in the event. Christian mentioned that his three children are taking part in the Meta-Sprint Duathlon Challenge as well. Christian predicted to Coach Rameshon that Ashley should be doing well based on his current fitness and performance.

Anyway, after hearing about Christian and his family taking part in the race,  I decided to give an interview to Christian after his race. 

Picture 2 - Charles on his bike part of the Sprint section




Personally, I feel that if the parent involves themselves in the activity, the children will also follow suit and involve themselves in a chosen sport over time. Studies have shown this and one can't go wrong in this. This leads to sports for life. Christian's family is a good example of how our family should get involved in sports. Parents are key to a child's involvement in sport for life.

Having said that, let us hear from Christian on his experience of the race which was held on Sunday at Seng Kang. 

An Interview With Christian Stauffer.

What was your target for this race?
To have an enjoyable day with my family and all other families as well and see to see everyone giving their best effort in this race.

Can you tell us the splits of the race?
For sprint it was 3km run (part 1) /18km bike /3km run (part 2) my splits were 13min 23sec/ 32min 26sec / 15min 40sec. I did it in a total time of 1hr 03min.

Can you share with us on your experience of the race?
My main goal was to do a good bike split as I know that I have not recovered that will allow me to push on during the run part.

My wave started at 8:50am and it was already very hot around that time. I came out fine during the first section of the run part and subsequently having a good pace on the bike. My second run part was where I slowed down a lot.

How did your children fair for the race?
They all enjoyed and they did well for the race, Charles came in 7th overall (5th in the age category), Louis came in 28th overall (12 cat), while Eva came in 42nd youth (5th in her category). I was focusing on their enjoyment than their performance. 

Picture 3 - Louise with his bike during the race



How was the organisation of the race?
Overall it was good except for the mud pit, where the start and transition area were set up at that point. On the second run, my right shoe got stuck in the mud...


What is your next target?
On 4th of May 2012 to do the 70.3 Ironman race in Busselton. This is the one that I am peaking for and am aiming to give off my best.

Will you be still doing ultramarathon?
Next year likely around March period.

Can you share with us your partner that you train with or do you train alone?
I had the chance to train with David Edwards who is a great friend and a very experienced endurance athlete. We live not far from each other, and we are at the same time working professionals in our career and we try to accommodate and adapt our training on weekends together.

I know on some triathlon tips from Dave. However, on weekdays, I train on my own and once on a while go for a training session with my kids  on weekends

For ultra trail running, I train with Dan Johnson and my some of my fellow MR 25 friends, some of them are local ultra runners too: Kah Shin, Chee Meng, Clarence, BK etc... these are all amazing guys with lots of experience.

Are you happy with the time?
I am quite happy. Short course races like this one can be challenging when it comes to timing.

Lastly, I would like to congratulate Ashley Liew for his performance. I saw him the day before and predicted a good race. So was it!

Picture 4 - Ashley Liew (left) and Christian Stauffer (right)
















www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.