Thursday, April 19, 2012

JP Morgan Chase Run 2012

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Written By Marcel

Tarandeep Kaur - Aiming to do a 5km in 21 to 22min by 2 months time  

Pic 1 - Tarandeep Kaur hopes to run the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2012.


Today about 14 000 people took part in JP Morgan race. I decided to interview Tarandeep Kaur, 25, since she was running the race so that she can give me a first-hand experience of the race.


Interview With Tarandeep

How was the race?
There was a lot of excitement of the race and about 14 000 people took part in it.

How do you find the crowd?
Enthusiastic and fantastic

How was your run?
The route was 5.6km. I did it in an unofficial time of 25min 42sec. 

Are you happy with the time?
Yes, the reason for this is because I thought that I may do 25min kind of pace as I was sick today and I was not sure on how to run. Now I believe that I can do a 5km with a time of 22min plus, based on the calculations from the race. I am hoping to do a 5km time of 20min  in 2 to 3 months time so that I can do the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2012 in a sub-4 hours time. 

As for the timing today, I was blocked by front runners for the first 400metres. Some very slow runners were at the start line before me and they created themselves as obstacles for me. They also did not run out fast but were blocking. I tried to dodge my way to the front but it was very difficult. If this did not happen, all the dodging and turning, I would have done this race in relatively good time. A lot of people could have done a very good time.

Anything that you want to say to improve this race?
For next year, I would appreciate if I could run according to time and not people doing 40min for 5.6km standing right in front of me. This leads to blocking. The idea of doing an effective race is gone and for me to do a better time takes a back seat. All the time, money and effort to train for this event throughout the year goes to waste. Somewhere in the middle of the race, there were huge runners right in front of me, practically blocking me from overtaking them. I sincerely hope that something could be done by the organisers.

Different entry points could be set up for future races, so that runners are separated according to the seasonally best time or by asking people to cooperate and ask them to fill in their estimated time on the internet so that they run according to their own standard during the 5.6km race. In the past, I heard that there were not much of runners. 

Nowadays the popularity of running is growing. However, the organisers should also think winning ways to make people do a very good personal best time. 

How was the route?
Generally flat with some hills. We started at Esplanade and finished our run at F1 pit. 
 


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.