Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tarandeep Kaur - Does 1hr 19min for 2XU Compression Run

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Written By Marcel Sng


Today is the 2XU Compression Run 2012. While at the start point at Nicoll Highway, I felt the heat of the tarmac, and I believe it will make it detrimental to the runners. Tarandeep, a 25-year-old Nomura banker training under Coach Rameshon, has been training very hard for this event. Her aim is to get faster over time. She did 2hr 06min in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2011. She was very disappointed with the results. Coach Rameshon told her to focus on Hong Kong Standard Chartered Marathon 2012 which fell on Feb 05. She did her personal best time of 1hr 53min in Hong Kong. Today, she will be running the 15km 2XU 2012 race.

Let us find out her goals and target for the coming races of a runner who is aiming to do a sub -4hr for the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2012.

An Interview With Tarandeep Kaur

How was the weather today?
I find the weather hot. It was also very humid. I believe that I would have got a very good time if I had run in cooler weather or if the race was at 5 30am or 6am. 

How do you find the terrain?
The terrain was challenging, a bit of hill. The terrain was all tarmac. At the 9km mark, runners who were running in the 10km and the half-marathon race had to separate themselves to run their own different distances.

What was your target?
My target was to hit a decent 1hr 20min. Coach Rameshon, knowing my strengths and weaknesses, told me to aim for a time which was between 1hr 15min and 1hr 20min. He told me that if I pace myself well, according to our plan, I should be able to do a time somewhere around 1hr 15min. If I go too fast for the first few minutes, he told me that I may reach around close to 1hr 20min. 

What was your time?
My time was around 1hr 19min. I made a blunder by running 8min 10sec at the 2km mark which was way too fast for my body to handle the rest part of the race. I have killed me throughout the race. There was no 500m, 1km marker around to my knowledge, most of the markers were all 2km type of markers laid at every 2km. 1km markers per km would have helped us a lot. I paid the price of going too fast. 

Are you happy with the time?
I am very happy with my time, considering the mistake that I had done today. It has been very long that I have not had this kind of time. Coach Rameshon knew that even if I do a mistake, I should be able to do a time of 1hr 20min at least. I am happy that the training has made me be resilient during the run. Also, I believe that even if I had made a mistake, I would still have done well. It is the weather that got me too tired. 

What time did the race start?
It was supposed to start at 7am, it ended up starting at 7 15am because of a delay, I guess.

How do you find the organisation of the race?
It was good. when we were given a cold towel to cool ourselves down. The Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon committee could do something like this to assist the runners from getting dehydrated. As a whole, all turned out well. The race was not congested.

What is your next target?
JP Morgan Chase Bull Run 2012 5.6km run, two weeks from now. I am looking forward to it. I have some races in line to race and I am hoping to come in as the top 10 local runners for this year's Singapore Standard Chartered race. I am given a training program by Coach Rameshon and I believe that using his vast experience in coaching I would be able to do it. 

What did your family feel about your achievement?
They don't know yet and I am about to tell them.

Next Issue - Ashley Liew's performance in Meta-Series Sprint Series.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.