Saturday, April 14, 2012

An Interview With Rameshon - Part 3

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Written By Marcel Sng

Part 3 - The Developmental Phase

Exactly at which age did you pick up running?
It was at school that I picked up running, around secondary 1. I did not run that seriously at first. Mr Joseph's Vargese, our SJI teacher-in-charge for cross-country told us to run once a week. The good thing about him is that he used to reward us when we do well in running. Another portfolio of Mr Vargese was being the teacher-in-charge of Track and Field. This, I believe, was a very heavy burden for him as he was coaching everything - jumps, track sprints and throws.

It was only when Mr Coleman Baptist became our teacher-in-charge of cross country that we started training three times per week. There was an improvement in our timing. I was doing 8min 46sec when I was in secondary two. 

It was at secondary four that I started doing well when Mr Lui Seng Cheong, the present Queensway Secondary School principal, took over as the teacher-in-charge of cross-country. We came in third for Nationals Schools' Cross-Country in year1981. It was a memorable year for me that year. At that time, I used to train, rain or shine, with Tan Eng Howe for every session of our training.

What made you take up running very seriously over time?
I realised that the more I run it is still in me the self-discipline which could make me succeed in anything.

Exactly at which age did you become serious about running?
It was at 15 that I became serious about running. Over time, the seriousness was fluctuating until I reached 22 years of age. 

When was the first time that you represented Singapore?
It was when I was in the army, around the age of 20 that I represented SAFSA to run in Lumut, Malaysia for an Inter-Army race between Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia. I ran the 10km in a personal best time of 36min 31sec at that time. It was the first time I did sub-37min.

To be continued.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.