Thursday, April 5, 2012

An Interview With Rameshon - Part 1

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng

Coach Rameshon has been running from 15 years of age to 29. The path to serious training was not smooth; it was only at the age of 22 onwards that he made it a point to train consistently and seriously. After doing 2hr24min 22sec in Chiengmai SEA Games 1995, he took a 10-year break and come back to running at around 40. Until then, he was just keeping himself fit. After his marriage at 39, his weight went up from 55kg to 73kg. 

When he came back to running, at 39, he gradually rose from 6th position in 2005 Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon to 1st In 2008 Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, when he was 43. Furthermore, the two runners that Rameshon coached that year; Daniel Ling and Dr Benedict Tan, were able to come in local 2nd and 3rd respectively in the race. Dr Benedict Tan did 2hr 56sec, a first sub – 3hr run in his life. 

Picture 1 - (left to right) Daniel Ling (2nd), Rameshon (1st) and Dr Ben Tan (3rd)




In the year 2009, Rameshon was out of action but was present for the race to cheer for the 6 runners of his group who came in top 12 in the local Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2009 marathon. That year, one of the runners; Dr Benny Goh came in 3rd in the local category. Ashley Liew was second in the same race. 

As a teenager, I have always been inquisitive to know what happened to Rameshon in the year 2009. It has always been a mystery to me. I have been asking him whether he will carry on competitive running or not in his later years and this made ask him for an interview. I have seen him always practising what he preaches; doing Yoga; running, and exercise most of the time. The only thing I have not seen is him not training very seriously as in the past.

An Interview With Rameshon

What made you come back to running at the age of 39?
I was coming in first in a number of 10km races doing sub – 33min, with one to two minutes gap from the next person most of the time- not that I am bragging- but it that is a fact. I was only sustaining my performance and not improving as there was not much challenge here at that time. I told this to Yvonne Danson, National Record Holder of Singapore 1995, who has a time of 2hr 34min, and she told me not to halt and to keep on racing. I believe that I had other plans. Later on, when I took a break, she introduced to me Paul Thompson who was taking up running when he was in his 30s who was based in Malaysia and was racing successfully in Singapore. It was a good thing to see him. However, I have, at that time, stopped my running for a number of months already. The only thing that I was doing was just keeping fit throughout the year. 

I was looking for other challenges like to train after the age of 40 and repeat the 2hr 24min 22sec (1995) which I have done at the age of 29. 

Can you tell us the best time ever that you have done after the age of 39 years of age when you took up running?
At the age of 39, I was sixth in the 2005 Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon. In the year 2006, I came in 2nd in the Stanchart marathon race. In the year 2007, I came in second again for the race. However, in 2008 Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon race I came in with a time of 2hr 49min. From this race, my aim was to go down 2hr 34min. However, I got myself injured 1month before the race. 

How did you get injured in 2009?
I don’t easily get injured. The injury I got was an age-related injury and not a running injury. At age 40, many sedentary people will see their meniscus, cushion for the knee, wearing off. As for active people at the age of 45, the meniscus will wear off. At age 44 was where I felt pain at the side of the knee. Although, my timing around that year was getting faster I was coming to terms with the geriatric condition that was taking place. Finally, one day our body will give way to everything. Although, I was doing very good timing and was on target for a sub- 2hr 34min, I decided to pull out of the race. The last one month before the 2009 Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon practically I was limping while going up and down the stairs. This lasted for several months. I realized that my left leg was weaker and smaller in size as compared to my right leg. 

Did you recover from the injury?
I saw Dr Benedict Tan as he was himself a marathon runner and a friend to me. After seeing him, I recovered fast but not in time to run the Standard Chartered Marathon race 2009, I told myself not to get in a situation that I am not able to walk properly. It was a wait and see. I told myself that in the year 2010, I can come back to competitive running. I did cardio training in the gym. Only, after the year 2010, I got myself better.

To be continued in Part 2. 
 
www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.