Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mun Yong Liang - Health and Fitness Club Chairman

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Mun Yong Liang - Former Catholic High Secondary School Student Who Can Excel in Studies and Running


Hard work will always be rewarded.  
Picture 1 - Teng Jian Hong, Mun Yong Liang, Jeeva, Rameshon, Chamkaur and Si Heng.



We got to know each other because of Health and Fitness. Mun Yong Liang decided to handle as chairman as he was voted in by the Health and Fitness Club group of Hwa Chong Inst (College). He told me that he has a time of 11min for 2.4km. Hence, I kept giving him fitness work to improve him in healthy living. However, over time, because of good conditioning at a young age, Yong Liang became interested in running and hence he joined the Cross - Country team. His progress was very slow to the point that we start focusing on the three boys, Si Heng, Jeeva and Jian Hong. I realised that quality is very important. I was thinking that winning a gold is not near for us as we did not have our fourth best runner. We started focusing on track. However, over the last 3 1/2 weeks, Mun Yong Liang. from a mediocre performance in SAA Cross -Country and Wings Cross-Country suddenly started to make a tremendous improvement.

It was the last 3 1/2 weeks which made a lot of difference as his improvement was exponential. He was getting closer to Jian Hong and Si Heng to win them. Although this did not happen, he was able to do a sub 16min for the National Schools' Cross -Country and come as 12th position. Hence, he was 5 of the top 12 boys who came from Hwa Chong. The other talented who rose to the occasion was Chin Joo Ern, who springs a surprise by coming in no 09 positions. From the trials, I realised that Joo Ern made a miracle improvement during the last two weeks of the competition. All these culminated in Hwa Chong Institution winning the A Division Championships, one of the two championships that Hwa Chong Institution won out of twenty years. The championships trophy was always elusive and finally, we got it.

I believe that everyone was working on what time they are to go for rather than going after any RJC or VJC boys. The boys started to follow the game plan, rather than competing with the opponents.

Having told about Mun Yong Liang and the game plan, now I would like to invite this disciplined, resilient, understanding, kind, thoughtful and charismatic student to give his answers to the short interview I gave.


An Interview With Mun Yong Liang  - Chairman Health and Fitness Club

What is your role in the Health and Fitness Club?
I am the chairperson of the Health and Fitness club. However, I have taken a 2-month hiatus to concentrate on my training.

What made you and your former Catholic High friend Nathaniel Wong to join Health and Fitness Club?
Nathaniel ‘Nat’ Wong and I wanted to join a CCA that would allow us to maintain a certain level of fitness so that we would be fit for National Service in two years. Health and Fitness Club fit the bill completely. It did not require a large degree of commitment as there is only one session per week and it allowed us to maintain a certain level of fitness.

What did you learn from the club?
From the club’s core programmes, I have learnt some basic yoga poses such as the headstand and shoulder stand; unique stretches such as the Japanese sit; some theory such as the drive/arousal theory; training methods; periodisation; injury prevention and even food and nutrition. In essence, I have learnt many things regarding health, fitness and even sporting performance.

Why did you join the School's Cross-Country Team?
After my third Health and Fitness session where we had a 1km run, coach Rameshon came to me and asked if I was interested to join him for training with the Cross-country team. I had some passion for running since Secondary 4 so I jumped at the opportunity offered to me. After some time I joined the ranks of the Cross-country team.

How do you find the training?
The training volume slowly increased from 2 times a week, to 3 times a week, to 4 times a week to 6 times I found the gradual increase in training volume very thoughtful. I find that it was wise of coach Rameshon to adopt a conservative approach to increasing training volume. It prevented me from feeling burnt out and getting injured. The training might seem tough but it is quite manageable. There are definitely times when I don’t feel like running at all but I’ll just remind myself that this is my first and last chance to achieve something for myself during my schooling years, that motivates me to keep training. I also like to motivate myself with this quote, “Running won’t kill you. You will pass out first.” So, the training is probable tiring and maybe daunting but definitely not impossible.

Can you balance studies and training?
I’m okay with balancing schoolwork and training. I skip my breaks to complete my tutorials. I’ll just have a sandwich during the break as I do my tutorials to keep me going through the day. Small sacrifice for the final victory, besides, a sandwich is healthy! I am generally ahead of my tutorials because I have a need to be ahead (not much time to do homework when I get home after afternoon training, just feel like sleeping!).

But there is indeed some difficulty when it comes to revising and training. There’s barely enough time to complete schoolwork, so there’s no time to look back and revise previous topics.

What made you do sub 16min for Under 20 National Schs' Cross-Country Championships?
Faith. My very first run around the Bedok Cross-Country route was around 16:40. The next one was 16:20. By the time I hit 16:09, I told myself there’s no time to go to 16 flat then onwards to sub 16. I decided that there’s no next month or next year and I just aimed for sub 16 the next week. I believe that mental training helped me to do a sub 16 min.

How do you feel about your result?
A little disappointed about my timing at Nationals. I knew that due to the crowd, my time would be affected slightly, but I felt that anything between 15:50 and 15:59 was achievable, so I was aiming for any time that is sub 16. To realize at the finish that I missed my target by 14 microseconds was quite disappointing. Position wise, I would have never expected myself to be in the top 20. 11 months back, so I am quite satisfied (although I’d be happier with a top 10 finish!).

How did you feel when you knew that your school became champions?
EXTREMELY happy. No words could describe the thoughts and the feelings rushing through my mind. Cliché but true. When you have really put in everything you’ve got, when you have put your heart and soul into something, the happiness of earning what you have trained hard for is quite indescribable.

Which event are you taking for the National School Track and Field Championships?
I would be running the 3000m Steeplechase at the National Schools Track and Field Championships.

What are your aim and long term target?
To keep running. Follow in Ashley Liew’s footsteps. Win a marathon or two. His story is quite inspiring. Haha. My other love besides running is mountain biking. So hopefully I can achieve something there as well in future. I’m sure the base that cross-country training has given me would be helpful!

What is your advice to students who are reserved to take up cross-country because of intensive training?
You’re only as strong as your mind. You can do anything if you set your mind to it. The intensive training is the main reason why victory tastes so sweet. So, just take up cross-country if you’re passionate about it. Worry about the intensive training later. If you are really passionate, those things will work themselves out later.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.