Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nathaniel Sim - Catholic High's Great

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Nathaniel Sim - Catholic High School's Greatest Middle Distance Runner Who Likes to Compete Aggressively and The Same Time Show True Sportsmanship

Picture 1 - Nathaniel Sim, from the back row, 3rd person from left with a black vest on.

It was in 1995 that I got to know about this former middle distance and cross-country athlete mine by the name of Nathaniel Sim, who later went for training under Mr Lawrence Ang and then go under Coach Remy Gan. At an earlier period in Secondary School, I was training Nathaniel between 400m and 5km.

In 1995, I found that Nathaniel was not consistent in training. After some time we had a time-trial and he did not do well in it. I told him that he needs to train hard, and also, at the same time, I did not think that he will be affected by the less than average timing on that particular day.

From then onwards, I realised that the fire in his eyes to well and keep improving the timing for cross-country races was exhibited. As a runner, Nathaniel was a versatile runner who could run 800m to 4.8km in an excellent manner.

In races, he has never shown any form of fear. He was an epitome of courage such that I used to cite him to other athletes so that they run with confidence. I realised that Nathaniel when he runs is always very confident of himself when it comes to racing. He has never let me down in races in any form. I could always trust him to come in with a very good time. He also was possessing phenomenal speed in his leg at a young age such that he was able to show during the 4 x 400m in the National Schools Track and Field Championships, in the year 1998. On that year, Nathaniel Sim and Tan Chay Chun were able to get for us 4 x 400m gold. Even though Joseph Tan Chay Chun was the champion of 400m, the run that Nathaniel Sim displayed for the 4 x 400m was fantastic such that even Joseph admired Nathaniel's phenomenal speed. Joseph conceded that Nathaniel was greater on that day. I was the coach and teacher-in-charge at that time, with Mr Benjamin Kwok as a Head Of Department.

Since I have mentioned about Nathaniel Sim, I will be posting this interview for young budding athletes who want to be an excellent athlete in performance and virtues, at the same time, one who can take him as a good role model to follow. I have all admiration to him as a coach when I see him run. We are still communicating even now.

An interview With Nathaniel Sim

Can you tell us your age?
I am now 28 years of age

Can you tell us on your personal best time for your races?
400m - 51.9sec
800m - 1min 54min  (2005, Singapore Open)
Indoor 800m 2min 01sec
4.8km - 15min 56sec
ASEAN University Games - Gold medal

In WALAA competition, did you win any medal
In 1997, I came in first in 1500m.

Can you tell us more about your Primary School?
I was in Catholic High Primary School from 1989 - 1994.
I was doing badminton recreation. I was identified by Mr Benjamin Kwok.

Con you tell us more about your secondary school Catholic High School?
I was there from 1995-1998.
During this period I did the 800m in 2min 02sec but lost to Kannan Poobalan in a photo finish.

Can you tell us on you college years?
I was at ACJC  from 1999 to 2001. There I attained my personal best time of 1min 59sec for the 800m.

What did you do for your degree?
Mechanical Engineering from NTU (2004- 2008). I could study well by disciplining myself. My roommate was also a runner.

Were you able to balance running with studies?
Earlier years, no. However, later on, I was able to.
In NTU I become was just studying and training, and also do CCA like Rugby and Karate Team.

What were you training with when you did your 800m personal best?
Remy Gan (2004- 2008). I did 1min 56 and 1min 57 several times before doing 1 min 54sec eventually.

Tell us more about your marriage.
In the year 2008, I got married after university. In the year 2009, my daughter was born.

What job are you doing now?
At present, I am working in civil service.

What is your plan for Exercise in the long-term?
In the long term, I just want to run for fun.
Whenever I take off, usually I would do running.

Any exercise program that you follow?
I do long run three times per week and a fartlek run once a week.

What has running taught you?
About Sportsmanship. Giving your utmost best but racing under the rules of the competition. It means, if the competition has certain rules, you must follow the rule and at the same time respect your opponent at all times. Do your best, not just giving chance to your opponent and going for your best possible timing.

What has karate taught you?
Same. Do your best! However, after the competition, we should know that we are friends. Of course, you have to fight and if you want to win and in order to win the fight you have to go for it. You should know the strategy you are going to take and prepare well before the competition. I know that in order to win the fight, focus and attention are very important.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.