Wednesday, March 23, 2011

1st Report - Qua Bi Qi, Gambles Her Way To Win Nat Sch X-Country 2011

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Next Issue

(1) Jeevanesh's Interview
(2) National Schools' Cross Country B and C Division Performance of Boys and Girls.

From Hwa Chong Institution (College) - National Schools' A Division Champion (4.1km Race)

Name: Qua Bi Qi - Doing Canoe as a CCA.

Picture 1 - The Hwa Chong Team (A Division Boys and Girls) 











What was your aim during the race?
I was having a conservative approach to this race. I wanted to come in as one of the top runners. Mr Wee Tong, my canoe teacher-in-charge told me that I should aim for top 3 and follow the top runner and aim for first if given the opportunity. Mr Ram told me to take a conservative approach and go for the top girl but give a safe distance in order not to get lactate in the blood which will tire me at the last portion of the race.

How was the start of the race?
I knew that the race was 4.1km in total. At the start of the race, I just chased some of the runners who were at the top and had a clear advantage of not being blocked. I was following behind the two RJC girls - Mok Ying Rong and Wan Zara. I think Belle of ACJC was behind us. Debbie Ho of Hwa Chong was also in contention for the top 6 positions.

Tell us the details on the race to the finish?
After the start, at the 900m mark, I was still following the two runners from RJC. I did not do anything to push the pace and I was a few metres behind both of them. (I told myself to wait for the right moment if the opportunity arises if there is a chance for top 3, maybe even first. Mr Ram and Mr Quek told me that I am in contention for first. )
At the 1. 500m mark, the two girls were still leading and I was still following them from a distance.

At the sandtrack (about 1.7km mark), I was about 10m from Wan Zara and Mok Ying Rong. It was here that I felt comfortable and started closing up the gap.

By the last 400m, at the 3.7km mark, I started to take a gamble to overtake Wan Zara, as I was not sure of whose finish kick was faster - Wan Zara's or mine. Earlier, Mok Ying Rong started to drop back from the sandtrack to the link to the Temasek Poly. I was not sure why but  I felt that she may not be feeling well. I still had a bit of stress that Wan Zara may catch up on me. The feeling such, all the way, until the last 70 metres of the home stretch. At that point, I was feeling very confident that I am going to be the champion for the day. After the finish, I realised that I have achieved first for the National Schools' Cross-Country 2011, 'A' Division Girls.


How did your friends feel about the race?
They felt proud of my achievement. 

What was your training like for this race?
I was strictly training for canoeing. It gave me very good stamina for the race.  

How did the family feel about this?
Happy.

Who were the most surprised?
My friends were very surprised. I have to thank my school and Mr Quek, my canoe teacher-in-charge, to keep Mr Rameshon constantly updated on my own training program and to allow me to run in this race and give me the opportunity to win in this race. I would like to thank Mr Ram for having full faith in my training and giving me the slot to run, even though I risked the chance of not running. There was teamwork by both Mr Wee Tong and Mr Ram in communication.

Name the top 4 individual runners?
I was first. Second, third and fourth place went to Wan Zara, Belle Tan and Debbie Ho, respectively.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.