Tuesday, March 22, 2011

National Schools' X-Country 2011 Record Broken (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Details of the Results will be coming out soon in several parts over this week.

Picture 1 - Hwa Cross Country A Division runners (in vest)











Today's News  

Bedok Reservoir 4.6km Record Broken - 14min 55sec By Jeevanesh s/o Soundararajah

Previous Record Time - 15min 20sec.

Picture 2 - National Record holder for 1500m and 3000m, Chamkaur Singh, somebody that Jeeva would like to emulate.











It was early in the morning and I had to go to the Bedok Reservoir. I parked my car in Temasek Poly. After that, I met the Hwa Chong (college) students. I knew that the girls' team is not as strong as the past few teams. I was expecting for 5-6 position because of this.

As for the boy's team, the boys knew that the chances of winning is above 50%. Yesterday, the captain told me that they wanted to hear from me my views just before the race. I told that maybe there is no need for this motivational talk. However, I had to ask them whether they need it. The captain, Yeo Si Heng, said a yes to that. Even though I had to see the doctor yesterday and was on MC, I decided to come down for the last pep talk.

The boys were told few motivational things and not to get hyped up a day before the race. I just talked less and told them to go for it.

On the day of the race, I realised that the team was not nervous, they were confident. Just before reporting time, the boys and girls team took some pictures. After taking pictures, the A Division girls ran, followed by the A Division boys. While waiting for the A division girls, finally I saw Bi Qi following one of the top RJC girls. BI Qi at the Bridge to Temasek Poly from Bedok Reservoir suddenly took her chance and started overtaking the top RJC girls and eventually emerged as the top runner of the day. Then I saw other runners coming in, even Debbie Ho was coming in.

Once it was 10 minutes plus, from far away I saw a figure running and it was a solo race. I was asking Augustine Tan whether it was Jeeva. I was told that it was Jeeva. I was at the canoe shed about 700m away from the finish and told Jeeva that he should go for a faster time as the gap he was holding was quite convincing.

As soon as Jeeva heard this he started to change gear and go for it. I was hoping for a 14min 40sec to 14min 55sec. I saw an RJC Indian Boy running and Rodrigo fighting for the second and third placing.

S. Jeevanesh, true to his prediction which he had written in the Facebook, broke the Bedok Reservoir National Schools' Cross-Country Record from 15min 20sec to 14min 55sec. His father was watching his race and looked happy and he told me that it was very difficult to park the car in the Poly. He told me that he had parked the car outside.

In the A Division girls team event, RJC won the championships with Hwa Chong coming in as the champions for the A Division boys team.

The Hwa Chong Team for A Division Boys consisted of S. Jeevanesh, Yeo Si Heng, Jian Hong, Chin Joo Ern, Mun Yong Liang, Samuel Wong and reserves consisting of Freeman Aw and Jia Le.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.