Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wong Kang Yan - Health and Fitness As A Way Of Life (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Wong Kang Yan - One Who Passionate In Scouts And Believes That Fitness Is For Life

Picture 1 - (Left to Right) Zeling Goh, Trevor Lum, Mark Teng, Ashley Liew, Rameshon, Sheryl Loh and Wong Kang Yan.



What made you take up running?
I took up distance running to give myself a new challenge, and also to become fitter.

I joined the Scout Movement in 1999, and have been an active member ever since. School life was mainly studying and Scouting. I was never active in sports in school.

Then in 2007, when I was in Junior College, I decided to find a new challenge and signed up for my first 10K race. I have never looked back since. I was hooked on running.

When did you start training for running?
After signing up for my first race (2007 New Balance Real Run 10K), I told myself that I had better put in some training before I run it. I started running more frequently. I made sure I prepared myself well for the race.

After this first race, I started reading up more and more on running and began taking a more systematic approach towards training.

What is your previous personal best for the marathon?
(2009 Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon) 4hr 20min

What is the time taken for this year?
3:59

How did you achieve this?
When I trained for my first marathon (2009 SCSM), I plotted out a very specific weekly plan and tried to stick to it. The problem was, I increased my mileage and intensity too quickly, and got injured a number of times. Also, I found that my plan was too rigid, and I got tired of following it after 8 weeks or so. The injuries, plus the temporary loss of motivation, caused me to fall back on my training, and thus I could only run a 4:20. I had targeted a 4:00 finish.

For this year, I changed my approach to training. I did not plot out any specific plan. I told myself to focus on one item (base-building, tempo runs; etc) per month starting from June. I did much more base-building this year, comprising a high percentage of easy-paced runs. In September, I started joining Mr Ram’s running group for runs and added tempo runs to my programme. Soon we were doing hill repeats. I believe the base-building helped me handle the physiological stress of the tempo runs and hill repeats.

I took extra care not to increase my weekly mileage by more than 10% every week, and took every 4th week easy (half the mileage of my previous week). This combination dramatically reduced my injury rate. In fact, I was almost injury-free throughout this training cycle.

This year, I ran 2 races leading up to the marathon. I did the Army Half Marathon and the Newton 30K Challenge in October. These 2 races helped me get an idea of my fitness, and also got me mentally prepared for the marathon.

How do you feel about this?
I am very satisfied with my marathon. My low-mileage training plan (I maxed out at 60K a week) was sufficient to help me to a sub-4:00 finish, plus I never lost motivation throughout the training cycle.

My legs felt good throughout the marathon. I controlled my pace very well right from the start, and I did not bonk or get cramps. However, I was hampered by bowel trouble from 35K on and took 2 toilet breaks that cost me 7 minutes. I pressed on and managed to cross the finish line under 4:00. With this in mind, I know that I could have potentially run a ~3:52.

I am actually a little surprised that my low-mileage and low-stress training got me into good-enough form to run a ~3:52 marathon.

Do you have any message to say to the Health and Fitness Club members?
It is of utmost importance that, as HnF members, you strive to stay fit and healthy and try to get your friends and family to embrace healthy lifestyles. You must lead by example, and show them that everyone can lead a balanced and healthy life.

You do not have to be involved in endurance sports in order to be considered healthy and fit. As long as you exercise regularly, eat healthily, and maintain a reasonable level of fitness (e.g. achieve at least Silver for your NAPFA/ IPPT), it’s good enough.

What is your feedback on this race?
I liked the route of this year’s marathon. I liked the fact that it was not a very flat course. It added some challenge to the route and made it more interesting. Plus, the route took us through a wide variety of cityscape. It was nice to see very different things along different stretches.

The weather was nice too. I like running in the sun. So I was not too bothered by the rising temperature from 7.00am onwards.
My only grumble about this race was the baggage collection. I was lucky my legs were still feeling good after the marathon, so I could walk rather comfortably to collect my bag. I feel sorry for the marathoners who have to literally limp to the baggage collection.

What is your plan for the future?
I intend to move on to triathlon in 2011. I will pay more attention to my swim and bike training. As for running, I will focus on the half-marathon distance, but I may still run a full marathon next year.
My long-term goal is to complete an Ironman. I will start by training for and completing some 70.3 races (half-Ironman) in the next few years.

What is your opinion on exercise for life?
I believe that it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle for as long as you live. Besides watching your diet, it is also important to include regular exercise. I find exercise (running) an excellent way to reduce stress, so regular exercise could help you stay happy too. These combined should help you lead a healthy and happy life for a long time.

Staying healthy and fit for life should hopefully help to reduce your medical bills too. It is a well-known fact that people who exercise regularly are at lower risk of getting age-related ailments, and diseases associated with sedentary lifestyles.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.