Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dr Benny Goh - 7th in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 and Fastest Local Ultra-Marathon Runner

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Dr Benny Goh - Fastest local on the road for ultra-marathon

Picture 1- Sheryl Loh, Wong Kang Yan, Brendan Lee, Dr Benny Goh, Dr Ben Tan (3 times Sportsman of the Year Singapore, Sailing) and Ashley Liew



Dr Benny Goh and I met in the year 2008, where he did Berlin marathon with training partner Dr Benedict Tan. Dr Benny Goh did 3hr 15min, which became his personal best time. To this. Dr Ben told me that Benny is talented. That year, I came in first in 2008 SSCM marathon, coming second and third was Daniel Ling and Dr Ben Tan, respectively in the local men open section. The three of us did sub - 3hrs. Benny was envious over this. He was carrying a balloon and informing people that if they want to run a certain pace, they can follow him. I told him that he should have run the race and do sub -3hrs. Dr Benny decided to train very hard for this with us, especially for workouts. He now has 4 sub - 3hr in his belt, something to be proud of. He has a personal best time currently, doing 2hr 50min in Boston Marathon 2009.

In Sundown, Ultra-Marathon he has the best local time in Singapore 7hr 27min. He told me that he is probably not doing the Sundown Ultra-Marathon 2011 as New York City Marathon 2011 is around that period, which is around November time.

He shared with me that his target for the upcoming Tokyo Marathon,  Feb 27 2011, is to do 2hr 45min and is confident of doing it. He is now planning with me on how to go about in getting it. I felt that his chances of getting sub-2hr 50min is 90% and to do 2hr 45min is 60%. His minimum target is to at least get the sub-2hr 50min.

As a dentist, it is something that we can learn that a person like Dr Benny can run and work and balance well in life. I find him a person who gives a lot of respect to me when he talks to me. Usually, adults do not call me sir, but he calls me with the word 'sir' at the start of the sentence, which is not necessary. I find him a humble person and I have not seen him brag once. As such, let us find out more of this fine gentleman on his experience in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010, where he came in 7th, in the form of an interview.

Picture 2 - Perfect training partners Dr Benny Goh and Dr Ben Tan (right)


Picture 2 -Dr Benny Goh posting fastest local time on road

An Interview With Dr Benny Goh 

In the coming marathon Tokyo Marathon, he is just hoping to do around

1. Did you achieve your target?
My target was this year's marathon is about 2.50. I wanted to repeat my Boston's timing which may show that Singapore's weather may not affect race time.

I did about 2.56.04, about 6 minutes off my target. I am a bit disappointed with my timing, as I believe that I can achieve better. Nevertheless, I am glad I managed to maintain Sub 3 on my slate board. I will use this race as a learning experience and modify my training and race strategy for my future marathons.

2. How did you find the route?
The overall racecourse this year certainly has it's uniqueness and credit should be given to the organiser.

However, the route itself had many acute sharp turns, which required a lot of braking and disruption of running strides. And the turns are really horrible when you were having fatigue and cramps towards the end of the race.

The stretch of the route after Fort Road towards the golf course and the Marina Bay Garden was poorly covered by the marshals. It left me wondering at times if I was on the right route. There were, in fact, more construction workers walking on the road that marshals and route markers!

I took the slope up the Sheare's Bridge pretty well as I had mentally prepared myself for this uphill task like what I did for Heartbreak Hill in Boston. The only problem was the sharp right turn at the downslope. It triggered the cramp in my calves again.

Crowd control was also lacking especially at the Esplanade area towards the finishing line. There were so many jaywalkers (think the 10km runners) crossing the roads and cross junction. Alert and Active marshals should be placed to keep the racecourse clear of OBSTACLES!

What strategy did you employ during the race?

I planned to maintain my race pace at about 4mins 10secs per KM and pick up pace towards the end. But I went faster in the first half of the race. I was feeling good and was able to maintain the pace comfortably. I was pretty happy during this stretch. However, I was attacked by the irritating CRAMP in my calves at about 32km; first my left then my right! I got to slow down as I worried it will go full scale and stopped me from running totally. It was worsened by the sharp turns and the crowded roads towards the endpoint.

Picture 3 - The best time posted for Sundown Ultra-marathon by Dr Benny Goh.

 

What are your future plans?
Definitely continue running and better my timing!

I wanted to complete the 5 world majors. With Berlin and Boston in my pocket, I am left with New York, London and Chicago. I am also setting running the Fukuoka International Marathon as my marathon goal. It's a qualification race and it's even more challenging than the famous Boston. There slowest timing for qualification (Group B) is under 2.42 hours regardless of age!

I also planned to improve my timing for 21km.

Picture 4 - A dinner treat by Ashley Liew and Dr Benny Goh for doing well in SSCM 2010 at Gokul, Indian Vegetarian Restaurant at Upper Dickson Road, off Serangoon Road.





Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.