Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Marathon Post Race Recovery

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Next Issue - Mok Ying Rong


Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 - Post Race Recovery

Picture 1- (Left to Right) Yong Liang, Galen, Nathaniel Wong, Yeo Si Heng, Jeevanesh, Lester, Jian Hong, Ashley, Rameshon, Darren Nin and Oon Shui Kun

After the race, this photo was taken and tagged in my Facebook. I find the definition of the photo so good that I decided to put in this section of the blog.

Post Race Recovery
Immediately, after a race, one should just keep walking and not stopping. When you stop and wait for some time, you will find it difficult to walk, especially when you go down a staircase. That was how I felt after many marathon races. Most of the time, I had to limp my way home. Hence, it is a good idea to go walk 1km to 2km. Maybe, it is a good idea to get a light, not hard, massage to get the metabolites from the blood and expedite recovery. One could get diluted isotonic water and keep drinking throughout the day for every 30min to 1hr. Hydration enables one to avoid getting dehydrated. Stretching would help a person to also speed up recovery by losing the tense muscles, after a run, getting unwanted metabolites from the blood to be cleared.

Studies have shown that it is a good idea to keep hydrating the body with water for the first few days. One should avoid coffee as it dehydrates the body and gets a person tired. Hydrating the body with water will make one recover faster.

I remember when Paula Radcliffe had broken the world record to 2hrs 15min, I was told that she usually soak herself into the bathtub with ice. I felt that Paula had the discipline to do that. In another instance, in 1995, before my Boston Marathon race, I was told in a talk that a shower in cold water will speed up the process of recovery. It was also told that it is not a good idea not to have a hot shower. Hot shower, after a race, delays recovery.

Picture 2 - Paula Radcliffe - The world record holder of women marathon has given birth to two children takes to icing the body for quick recovery.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/201011084457/hello/exclusive/paula-radcliffe/1/

Let us find out from the marathoners what they will do to speed up recovery. We asked two of our group members.

Lim Thow Wee - For this week, I am going to spend time with my wife. I will not be running for this week at all. I will do stretching whenever I find the time. The following week, I shall start the week with some light runs.

Ashley Liew - My muscles are very tight even now. I just want to relax for this week. I am going to go for a sports massage in order to get rid of the metabolites. I will be spending time with family and friends. I will continue to hydrate the body by drinking water for the next few days, which I have been doing. I will be doing a lot of stretching. I am using an ice pack to loosen the tight muscles.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.