Saturday, December 25, 2010

Elaine Lim - 2nd local in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Merry Christmas to all

Picture 1 - Coach Dr Goh Chor Boon, who uses Oregon University training method, was my History lecturer in the NIE, in the past, (center) and Elaine Lim (right)


Elaine Lim - 2nd local in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010

1st - 3hr 12min 24sec Anne Date
2nd - 3hr 23min 21sec Elaine Lim
3rd - 3hr 24min 19sec  Jeradine Collettin

I realised that tomorrow is the MR25 Ultra Marathon Race (26/12/2010). I thought of interviewing Elaine Lim since she was available before I could interview Dr Benny Goh. Dr Benny Goh is aiming for a sub-2hr 50min in the coming marathon Feb/Mar that he has targeted. As a partner of Dr Ben Tan, he comes down for Hwa Chong Cross-Country workouts. This year, there was a lot of disruptions. He still has the fitness to do sub -2hr 50min which he is still gunning for. As tomorrow is the ultra-marathon race, since he is the fastest local time in Sundown Marathon 2010 runner, tomorrow's coverage or the day after will be on his experience of SSCM 2010. However, please take note that Dr Benny Goh will not be taking part in the Ultra Marathon race tomorrow. He will be doing his long run.

Until then, let's find out in detail from a women's perspective on race route and experience. Elaine gave me an in-depth detail on the race.

Picture 2 - Elaine Lim, with the medal on the left, is second local in SSCM 2010 in women marathon. In red t-shirt is Anne Date, the champion, local women.










Did you achieve your target?
No, I did not. I was aiming for an even paced run of about 4:35-4:40 pace but did not manage to achieve it. Somehow I lost focus at about 30-35 km. This was where I slowed down too much.

How did you find the route?
The route was generally okay till about 30-35km where we had to run through some construction area. The 30-35 km part of the race is the toughest for me hence it didn’t help me at that portion of the race as it was unfamiliar.

Of course, there was also the Sheares bridge bit that wasn’t easy at all! Thank goodness it was a short climb.

What strategy did you employ during the race?
I tried to stick to an even paced run throughout the race by checking on my pace every 2-3km. From about 18 – 30 km, I ran with 2 guys who were going at the same pace as me. I felt that we were silently working together to keep the pace which benefitted me.

What are your future plans?
Never stop running for sure, but as for my next planned race, I have yet to sort it out.

How did your coach feel about your timing and the 2nd placing in SSCM 2010?
Though the lack of a PB, my coach is satisfied and happy with my run. He is always supportive of me no matter what.

How do you find the competition this year?
This year’s results are much better than 2009’s marathon (not considering mine :P). I think there are many very potential long-distance female athletes out there!

How was the weather out there?
Weather was good this year. Considering Singapore’s weather, the weather at this year’s marathon was manageable.

How did your family and friends react to your fine result?
My family and friends will always be happy and proud of me no matter the results. We celebrated together with the many many treats.

Picture 3 - Even Hwa Chong Institution girls have to run for the money with Elaine Lim around training Catholic Junior College


When did you pick up running?
I am not sure if I can accurately mark when I actually picked up running. For as long as I remember, PE was my favourite subject (haha!) and I always had a positive relationship with running. I always enjoyed it.

As to when I started running a little more... it would be in the second year of my University. I love to just run..! anywhere... just to check out new places, new routes and getting lost. It was very easy to do that as I studied abroad in Sydney (UNSW) and it was easy for me to explore over there.

Any teacher, coach or instructor who found that you have potential?
My Dad. Not so much of seeing the potential in me or anything but he had the strongest influence on me with regards to why I enjoy running so much. He loves to run too and I remember him sharing with me that running allows him to clear his mind, sort out his thoughts and of course balances his life. That was the basis of how I started jogging more in Australia.

I joined standard chartered run 2004 (or 2003, can’t remember) with my dad and won something in the 10km race. It was also then that I met Trina and she introduced me to her coach, Dr Goh Chor Boon. Since then Dr Goh has been the coach and mentor in my life. He journeys with me through and of course, brought out the ‘runner’ (not just a ‘jogger’) in me.

Other individuals who helped me in running is Mr Melvin Tan, Remy Gan and Robin, to name a few.

How running benefits your life?
Apart from the health benefits that running has, running has also widened my social circle with fellow runners becoming wonderful friends.

Most importantly though, Running is like my antidote. It gives me time to myself and quiet time with God.

We wish Elaine Lim all the best in her chosen pursuit.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.