Monday, December 27, 2010

S'pore International Marathon - 2h 34min 02sec (Part 2),1994

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Singapore International Marathon - 1994

Men's Local Open Position
1. 2hr 34min 02sec Murugiah Rameshon 
(PB is 2hr 24min 22sec, 1995), SEA Games) 
2. 2hr 44min 46sec Khoo Chin Poo 
3. 2hr 46min 10sec Tan Choon Ghee 

Appreciation and Gratitude
This post is dedicated to my supervisor Dave Williams, a dedicated triathlete himself, who has, a few years back, had his passing. It is also dedicated to Sir George Gandy, my Athletics Lecturer and Loughborough Athletics Club (University) coach, the maestro of coaching, and to Alan Guilder who coached me during my days in England. This post is dedicated to my two great friends, Tim Dickinson, who introduced me to Alan Guilder and to Tony Bignell, who helped me attain 2hr 29min for London Marathon by bringing me to the start line, the former Vice-captain of Loughborough Athletics Club (LAC). Not to forget, Len Almond, Lecturer of PE in Contemporary Education and the charismatic Professor Clyde Williams, whose books on Biochemistry and Sports Science research, I became fascinated with.

Picture 1 - This photo is memorable because I won the 1994 Singapore International Marathon (local) with a time of 2hr 34min 02sec.


A report by a reporter
http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2010/05/singapore-international-marathon1994.html

Developing My Passion In Running Further In Loughborough, England

When I was there as a second-year student in Loughborough, the Mecca of running, I saw Paula Radcliffe, the current world record holder of the marathon, as a year 1 student there. I used to see her in the Loughborough Athletics Club, most of the times training, using her coach program. My friend Tim Dickinson told me that he used to do some workout sessions with Paula along and used to tell our group admirable things about her - namely; her mental strength and dedication.

Picture 2 - Paula Radcliffe is not only the pride of England but also Loughborough University as well.


I myself saw her running super fast in one of the steady, where I was going in the opposite direction. In fact, I felt honoured when I was featured by the British Council Singapore, in a newsletter. Yuki Chow, the interviewer from British Council Singapore found that Paula was already featured in it.

Coming back to the Loughborough Athletics Club (LAC), we were coached by Sir George Gandy, who is one of the world best coach I have ever come across. He has coached runners like Jack Buckner 13min 10sec for the World Cup around that time. Sir George has trained many as well like Chris McGeorge (3m 36sec) etc. It was from the LAC that I picked up on training well. Furthermore, I was doing Physical Education and Sports Science.

I felt honoured when in the last run of the league when I got disqualified, for wearing a non-university singlet, my team-mates especially the captain of LAC, Gordon Reid from Scotland, kept arguing for me, where it went to the point of near shouting. After a while, I told Gordon that it is ok to be disqualified since I was the one in the wrong. To this, he told that my points are important for them to secure the league group competition so that they don't fall to league 2. I really did not know about the singlet rule and I find this stringent. Anyway, I was disqualified finally but LAC was still in the first league. Thank God for this, else blame will come to me.

George Gandy told me how to train using the 5 pace theory. Alan Guilder, at that time 30 years of age, a former runner of LAC trained by George Gandy, was always there not only as a coach but also as a training partner to me as well. Alan, an upright and a happily married with 2 children, has a personal best time of 2hr 21min done in the Robin Hood Marathon 1993. Finally, it was Dave Williams who imparted to me, outside curriculum time on thermoregulation and aerobic power (VO2 max) and aerobic capacity and made an informed person.

Training in Singapore

When I came to Singapore, I trained under Paul Rainer, a former East Germany coach. After coming in 16th in one of the Sheares Bridge race, I thought to myself that this may work for others but not for me. Hence, after 4 months of training with Paul Rainer, the next 2 months I did self-training using Alan Guilder's training method.

In the Singapore International Marathon 1994, I trained hard using my own monitoring. A week before the marathon, I was interviewed on the television by The World of Sports on the upcoming marathon race.

On the day of the race, I was worried whether I have gained back the fitness or not. The race was a testing ground. I was thinking whether the 2 months training using Alan Guilder method will help me or not. I ran the race, In the race, I had two people running also, Tan Choon Ghee and Khoo Chin Poo. To do well in the race, I told myself that I am going to go solo. 

From the start, I went solo. At that time, I was not used to looking at the watch while I run. I found that wearing a watch has one disadvantage, blood flow restriction. In Yoga, they say that pranic flow should not be restricted. The Chinese say that the Qi (life-force) should flow continuously. It is the same thing. The good news of wearing is that you can monitor whether you are going fast of slow and running steady or not. There are pros and cons. Hence, nobody needs to take my advice on this.

At the half-way mark, I hit around 1hr 17min. At that time, the route had small steep hills, a number of them around. However, I felt the small steep hills should be taken out. In the Berlin Marathon and London Marathon, the route is mostly flat.

However, after the half-way mark, I felt very strong and went for my timing, While giving all I have got at the last 10km, I realised that my calf muscles on one of the leg, I cannot remember which, was getting very tight. I had the stamina and energy to run faster and go for it but the calf tightness was stopping me from running fast. Cramps were coming there as well. However, I endured and kept pushing and kept my focus all the way until I saw the national stadium.

Once inside the stadium, I saw a number of people cheering for me at the finish and I sprinted towards the finish putting my hands up. The above photo is the photo of the 1994 race where I did 2hr 34min 02sec. I was telling myself that in 1987, when Kevin Ryan, a top world-class runner from overseas, came in first with a time of 2hr 32min, I used to admire him. Another 02sec and I could have done 2hr 33min.

Right now, I am still happy now because, over time, I realised that the 2hrs 34min 02sec has stood as the fastest Singaporean running the Singapore route, until now. After the finish of the race, I used to think that the timing was slow.

I am happy now that all the effort of sacrificing time, money and effort has brought me this result. Now, at least I can inspire others to go for it.

I can see that over time Mok Ying Ren and Ashley Liew are capable of posting better times with continuity. What they really need is the support of SAA and SSC and this is very important. The past management may have done some mistakes but in terms of the marathon there was very good support for me in the past. I hope this support will continue with the new management. Only time will tell. Until then, I have to reserve all my comments.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.