Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sia Chuan Han - MR 25 Ultra - Marathon Champion, Men (Part 3)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

MR 25 - Ultra - Marathon 2010, on 26th Dec.

Picture 1 - About 2min into the start of the MR 25 Ultra - Marathon race, you the runners would have seen this luscious and beautiful forest.




Yesterday, I was asking Donald Ng, an active MR 25 member on who was the champion for the men so that I can interview. He told me that it was Sia Chuan Han, 34, who ran and did 3hr 25min for the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon (SSCM 2010). This shows that perhaps Chuan Han is a person who can run for very long and is tireless as compared to a marathon where he needs speed. Quickly, I gave him an interview on the race.

Sia Chuan, according to Donald Ng, trains on a weekly basis with Mok Ying Ren. He is a self-made man, doing self-training, who told me that at times Donald came forward to discuss on how to go about in training and improve in aerobic fitness. He was appreciative and have gratitude to Donald Ng, a 6 Division Army coach, for this.

When I interviewed Chaun Han, he did not look tired at all. He was most of the time smiling to me when he talked.

Before the interview, I realised that Khoo Chin Poo, having a personal best of  2hrs 34min for the marathon), also the cross-country record holder for MacRitchie Reservoir, did 8 rounds of the run, within the 12 hours given to run. Khoo Chin Poo has run 10.55 rounds 11 times around MacRithchie Reservoir and is still holding this record.

An Interview With Sia Chuan Han, The New Champion

Picture 1 - Sia Chuan Han, running in the green forest, Northern Route in MacRitchie Reservoir.


What secondary and college were you from?
I studied at Bedok View Secondary School and did my studies at Temasek Polytechnic later on.

Compared to this route today and the route in the past, which was better?
I prefer the previous route which was flatter. This course is more hilly and the coming down gave me hamstring strains after about 5 round of 10. 2km.

What was your position in the past?
In 2008, I came in 3rd, running 8 rounds. In 2009, I came in 2nd, running 9 rounds. Finally, this year I ran the same 9 rounds in 11hrs 01min, I am now the champion of today's race.

What was your mileage like when you trained for this?
I did 10km daily and once a week of 15km.

How was the water point?
During the run, we have two points to drink. We had isotonic drinks and water for hydration.

Did you feel pressured by the competitors?
Didn't really bother about them. I knew that there were some elite MR 25 club elite runners whom I can lose.

Were you having any form of fear of cramps, dehydration etc ?
There was no fear in me and I was looking forward to this.

Are you intending to run 10 round next year?
One step at a time, the next step is I want to see whether I can run 10rounds. I have done 100km in last year's NorthFace run.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.