Monday, December 27, 2010

Official Results MR25 Ultra - Marathon and George Chong

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Section 1  - Official Result of MR 25 Ultra - Marathon 2010

Picture 1 - (Right to left) top 10 placing in order, with extreme right Sumiko Tan, first.



Women - (Courtesy of MR25 Club)

Pos Rounds  Distance Total Timing  Name

(01) 9rounds 91.8 km 10h59m17sec Sumiko Tan

(02) 9rounds 91.8 km 11h40m49sec Yong Lai Chee

(03) 8rounds 81.6 km 10h44m56sec Pauline Nadia

(04) 8rounds 81.6 km 11h16m38sec Joyce Low

(05) 7rounds 71.4 km 10h09m20sec Neo Lay Peng

(06) 7rounds 71.4 km 10h35m56sec Mike Kume

(07) 7rounds 71.4 km 10h58m26sec Charlotte Teoh

(08) 7rounds 71.4 km 11h14m23sec Jacqueline Tan

(09) 7rounds 71.4 km 11h19m24sec Yrannath Ng

(10) 7rounds 71.4 km 11h34m54sec Fia Parmadi

Picture 2 - (Right to left) top 10 placing in order, with extreme right Sia Chuan Han, first.



Men
Pos  Rounds Distance Total Timing   Name 

(01) 9rounds 91.8 km 11h01m57sec Sia Chuan Han

(02) 9rounds 91.8 km 11h10m31sec Freddy Yeoh

(03) 9rounds 91.8 km 11h26m10sec Arnaud Courtin

(04) 9rounds 91.8 km 11h27m20sec David Liu

(05) 9rounds 91.8 km 11h51m36sec Swee Hsien Ming

(06) 8rounds 81.6 km 10h14m02sec Evan Chee

(07) 8rounds 81.6 km 10h23m53sec Henry Yang

(08) 8rounds 81.6 km 10h26m54sec Doekle Wielanga

(09) 8rounds 81.6 km 10h27m00sec Dmitry Lysenko

(10) 8rounds 81.6 km 10h27m54sec Khoo Chin Poo

Note: Khoo Chin Poo
MR 25 Ultra-Marathon record holder -11 rounds


Section 2 - George Chong (Fitness Is For Life)
Picture 1- George Chong is running and swimming frequently


I met George Chong, 40, an ex-Hwa Chong College Physical Education teacher, who later became the assistant sports secretary of the PE Department there. At that time, the year 2000, I was teaching Physical Education in the then Chinese High School. Due to the Integrated Programme, it is currently called Hwa Chong Institution, the merger of high school and the college.


George Chong was training a group of cross- country girls and in the year 2001, Hwa Chong came in champions in the National Schools’ Cross-Country Championships. Thanks to him. When he left school, I was training at High School. After that, I was asked to help the college girls and boys that he was training when he left. In the year 2002, the girls came in first, second, third and fifth in the individual positions for the National Schools’ Cross-Country Championships 2002 and brought pride to the school. In that year, Hwa Chong won all the Division Title for ‘A’ Division boys and girls and the ‘C’ Division and ‘B’ Division National Schools’ Track and Field Championships 2002. I found that the reason the girls did very well was because of the tireless effort of George Chong, who was there earlier.

Later on, George left to teach in Zheng Hua Secondary, subsequently going to NUS High and for the next 5 years, he has been teaching Chemistry in ACS Independent School. He said that teaching Chemistry is now his passion, running is next. During his stay in Hwa Chong JC, he took part in several triathlon World Ironman races, in total 3. He has a personal best time of 13hrs 10min. Several times I have seen George running and training and George believes in fitness for life.

Hence I felt that it would be a good idea for others to know about this friendly gentleman who always mixes work with sports, even until now. I gave him an interview. He was also very glad in answering the questions.

An Interview With George Chong

How was your training for this ultra-marathon race?
I feel that training is still not enough. During holidays I have been using my time for family. I ran less than 30km per week.

What made you run this event with low mileage?
I would like to do the upcoming 100km Sundown marathon, with the usual 84km taken out of the picture. This year I ran the NorthFace 50km Run in 6hr 50min and came in 20th position. I am happy with this. Hence, my next target is the Sundown and I am preparing for it.

Can you tell the route of the NorthFace Run that you ran?
We started from MacRitchie Reservoir and run to Mandai, it was about 19km to and fro. When we ran to Mandai, we have to do a loop of another 12km. Total is 50km. Those running 100km do twice of this.

How do you find the organization of MR 25 and NorthFace 100km run?
Both are very well organized in terms of my perception.

How do you find the NorthFace 50/100km route and MR 25 Ultra-Marathon route?
Both are challenging but NorthFace Run which includes Mandai section with steep slopes are more challenging. MR 25 route was good because of more shade during the run this year. However, my previous ankle and toe problems came when I had to do a number of downhills running during the run.

How was the atmosphere during the MR 25 run?
This is my first run. The people are vibrant and very helpful. When I stopped to attend to something, one guy wanted to help me immediately.

Earlier the drop out rate was high. Some who were standing actually later on decided to run a few more rounds to get the goodie bag. Hence, this shows that extrinsic motivation does help in running. The good thing about this run is some ran with Santa Claus hat and took the run for fun. The atmosphere was really great here. I like this run.

What are your training goals?
No more for performance but now I am structuring my training to keep myself fit. In the past, I gave a structured program to students and not to myself. It is about time that I do a structured program and I am starting to do now. Right now, I am 40 years of age. During my younger days, I should have trained more professionally and done structured programs. It is just a regret now that I have and I could have bettered my time in the past.

Even though my youth is gone, I am doing my best at 40 onwards.

Due to my accident in Anglo Chinese School, five years ago, in cycling, falling down because of going through a pothole, right now, I just do running and swimming, not much of cycling.

What exercises do you do for fitness?
I feel that my fitness is still there as ever and I will not let it go down. However, I only have time to do pull-up and dips. These exercises really help me a lot to stay fit to a certain extent. For me, I will always keep myself fit as fitness is for life. It will never stop as long as I live.

We wish George Chong all the best in his 'Fitness For Life'.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.