Friday, May 24, 2013

New Balance Real Run - Helen Toh Does 1hr 30min

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Murugiah Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Helen Toh  - Running is her passion

Picture 1 - Helen Toh, after the Real Run 2013.


 
Picture 1 - Helen Toh (left) with her sister Vicky Toh (right) during Brinda's 13th Birthday celebration.

In the past, Helen has come in 1st in Swift Cross Country in the late 1980s. Not only she was the captain for Dunearn Secondary School but she was also the one who headed this school to win the championships. Hence, the team was first. She was the second position in the individual race in the national schools' cross-country championships. 


Nowadays, no government schools are becoming champions in the team event in the National Schools' Cross-country Championships and this is very sad to hear. It is always the independent or autonomous schools that are the ones winning.

Over time, Helen went to ACJC and continued to pursue her dream of becoming a cross - country runner. While running for the college, she was getting knee injury consistently. I left for my further studies for Loughborough University at that time, after a few years of coaching her.

As for me, I did not know what happened after that. It is just that I attended her wedding a few years later. She married Andrew Oh. Then, over 15 years later she saw me and told me that she would like her daughter to join the Young Champions Programme. Her daughter Emma was running close to 12min for 1.5km, later on, did sub - 12min for the 2.4km. Her mother, Helen, was very happy to see this improvement.

Today, she ran in the 10km run for the first time, after four years of not running a race. She completed the run in 1hr 30min. She told me that she was doing well until she reached the 7km mark where her knee started to hurt. Otherwise, she felt that she would have done a much faster time. 

Having said that, let us hear from her in the form of an interview session to find out the New Balance Real Run which took place today.


Picture 2 - Helen Toh, 4th from left, semi-sitting/standing.

What race you took part in?

New Balance Real Run 2013


What is the distance ran?

10km. However, during the run, it seems a little longer.


What was the time they start the event of your race?

7:30am
 
Can you tell us a summary of your race?

I trained for this once a week only. I felt good for 7km and felt strong. However, a series of hills made my knee to have some sensation. I was running very well until I had to stop and do walk and run for the rest of the race distance. I was aiming for a 1hr 15min but I was not able to attain it today. I believe that I will be able to attain it in the future, in the POSB run I guess.


Which part of the knee you felt that was hurting?
The pain came from the left part of the knee, both left and right-hand side of it. I believe that I need some strengthening.

What time would you have done if you do not get this injury today?

1hr 15min. I have done a 2.4km in 12min 38sec for the trial test conducted for the parents. In the past, I was doing 14min plus. Then, it went down to 13min plus until it went to 12min 38min. I have done well in the interval sets for parents done recently.


How is the organization of the race?

It was ok. There were a lot of marshalls, no confusion. The water points were sufficient.


How do you find the route as a whole?

Very good but it also consists of too many hills.


What are your suggestions for the race for improvement?

Others are ok except the inclusion of the hills and it was very challenging. I did not expect many hills.

What is your next goal?

POSB Run 10km. I have already registered for the race and I am hoping to do a 1hr 10min to 1hr 15min. I am confident of this.


How was your husband's support?
He looked after my baggage and not only supported me but also encouraged me at the finish of the race.


Next Issue - Tan Eng Howe does 1hr 03min, while his daughter and wife also ran in the New Balance race.


www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.