Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Gold Coast Marathon 2013 Preparation (Part 7)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By M.Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sensation - Comes to the body before injury sets in.


These few days, I had sensations around my heart area. The sensation came after I ran with Lim Thow Wee last week when he did his 30min 55sec for the 8km steady run. It made me have difficulty to take a normal breath during the run the following day.

I remember that I had this form of sensation when I was a secondary one boy in St Joseph's Institution. I did not see my cross country teacher about this but kept training and it got worse to the point that I was running slower and slower over time. I also had difficulty breathing.

It was only when I saw the doctor that he told me to ease down on my training. He told me that my heart has become bigger in a few days of training as I moved up my mileage too fast. He told me that I should bring up my mileage gradually.

When I rested for some time, it was then that I became alright. The intense pain that was coming on my left back of the body was easing down over time when I was young and I recovered eventually. However, this took me some months.

Hence, I rested well on Wednesday and started to train on Thursday. I did an easy 400m x 25 run on the track. I did 6.4km run on a hilly terrain the next day, Friday. I also decided not to get an injury by running too long.

In order to recover from the sensation coming from the heart, I rested well on Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday, while Thow Wee was running his 8km hard, I did first 2km in 7min 40sec, and a 500m in between his run. I also decided to assist him in the last 1km of the 8km run. At the 7th km, he hit 26min 57sec. I encouraged him to go for a season-best steady state-run and he did 30min 33sec for the 8km run. We did the last 1km in 3min 36sec. His last week's time was 30min 55sec for the same distance. 

When given some leg drills, I realised that Thow Wee has a drag factor in his running style. I find that it is holding him back and preventing him from running faster. After some drills, I saw that his running economy was much better. However, I feel that he need to work hard on running the economy to reduce the time. I believe that he will benefit a lot and improve upon his time.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.