Saturday, May 25, 2013

N Balance Real Run 2013 - Tan Eng Howe's family of 3 completed the race

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Tan Eng Howe - A family affair of 10km run for Tan Eng Howe's family.



Picture 1 - Tan Eng Howe, Felicia Wong (Wife) and Anja (Daughter)

Tan Eng Howe, 48, was my cross-country ex-school mate when I was studying in the then Saint Joseph's Institution. Both of us used to run - rain or shine. In the past, we used to run even when there was thunder or lightning. Only now I do not run when there is lightning. 

We came in third as a team for SJI in the year 1981. However, I continued my studies privately after my secondary school education while he carried on his studies at St Andrew's Junior College. 

After several years we met and only now we meet up frequently as his daughter is in our Young Champions Programme. He is also our professional photographer for our Team Flexifitness. Not only his daughter ran in today's New Balance Real Run but even Tan Eng Howe and his wife also ran in the race. 

Hence, I found that since his whole family had taken part together, I believe that this story would inspire many families to go for a run together as an alternative to other outings as well. There will be positive family bonding. 

He was ready to share with me today on his reasons for running until now and on his Real Run race experience as well.

An Interview With Tan Eng Howe

How was your training for this race?
It was quite ok until the last two weeks where I was not able to find time to run much. 

What was the distance you ran in?
10km

What was your time for the race today?
I did 1hr 03min 15sec. I was pacing myself well for each kilometers and I believe that some of the kilometres markings were not evenly spaced out. My GPS also showed that the distance covered was 10.88km, instead of 10km. 

How did you feel about your time?
I am actually happy with my time considering the challenging hills I got to encounter.

What was the time you were expecting?
I was hoping for a sub-1hr timing. 

How did you find the route?
It was very hilly to my knowledge. Especially, after the 5km mark, I met a very hilly terrain which made to get tired throughout the race. 

What is your future goal?
I would like to do a half -marathon in the near future. It is my hope to do a 55min to sub - 59min in the coming POSB Run 2013.

Any feedback that you would want to say?
It was generally a very well organised race. I applaud for the ample water points that were provided. The route marshalls were very helpful in directing people to run correctly etc. However, I would like to air some things that could improve upon the race. I still find that the baggage counter could be improved in the future. The baggage counter was at the start point at first. Later on, it was at the finish point. When it came to collecting, we were delayed. For some, they had to queue up for very long, as long as 45min to get their items.

Do you like running?
Yes

What made to carry on with running?
Firstly, it gives me direction, discipline and focuses that enables me to infuse in my work to be successful in life, health, career, family etc. My proudest moment in life goes back to the days when I used to achieve in running. Now, I believe that there are values attached to it as well that do help me in my work. I believe that running is very beneficial to me. Hence, running has to run parallel with my work.

What time did your daughter and wife do in this race?
My wife Felicia Wong did 1hr 50min plus and my daughter Anja did 1hr 15min. 





Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.