Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Gold Coast Marathon Preparation 2013 (Part 6)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Gold Coast Marathon 2013 (Slow and Steady)

Picture 1 - With good running style Thow Wee will run faster.

On the 27th of April, I ran the 2.4km time trial in 8min 40sec. I felt great as many of Team Flexifitness athletes congratulated me on this achievement. I realised that I was on target for the sub-3hr run and I was very happy.

On Sunday, 28th April, I did my first long run in 1 1/2hrs. I took it easy not to push too hard for the run. I know that there are 8 weeks left for the Gold Coast Marathon race 2013.

The rest of the week, I did not do more than 5km run as I am intending to increase this distance for the last 7 weeks.

On Friday, I did an uphill and downhill running for 6.4km run. It was really an easy run and I enjoyed the run.

On Saturday, 4th May, I did some short speed sessions run and some cadence work, running from slow to moderate to fast 200s. Later in the evening, I did a 400m x 3 (first one in 1m 25sec and then 1min 15sec the next and finally finishing off the last set in 1min 15sec).

On Sunday, I did a 600m x 4 hill training. It was an easy one. In the past, I used to work very hard for the hill. Now that I am 48 years of age, I have intended to be very careful not to get myself injured at all cost. 

Today, I did my 1.5km x 2 steady run session, at the same time helping Lim Thow Wee to do a 30min 55sec for his 8km run. His time for the 8km was 31min 15sec, a week back. Today, he did a negative split today by doing 15m 30sec for the first 4km. For the next 4km, Thow Wee did 15min 25sec. 

In between, I did the 4 to 5.5km with him and rested for about 4min and did the 6.5km to 8km with him. My first 1.5km was about 5min 30sec and the next 1.5km was 5min 55sec. I felt good as I was able to push Thow Wee for the last 200m. We finished together.

Later on, I realised that Thow Wee could have done well in the run if his hand swing was maximised and optimised. It was corrected after giving him a video analysis. 

I told him on how I have been to stadiums and have been finding that a number of runners are not maximising their running style. In my life, so far, I have only seen 4 people, those from outside, doing the correct running style. 

Apart from all, currently, our runners in Team flexifitness are having good running style compared to the past. However, this took me some time to change their running style. I also realised that the most neglected running technique that I have seen so far and which is important for success is the hand technique. This is in line with what Wilson Kipketer, a former world record holder for 800m, has told us on the importance of the hand technique as compared to the leg technique.

Thow Wee told me that he used to carry a card and run and it caused one of the hand to stay still. Now, he realises that it is not a good idea to carry anything while running. Else, proper running style especially the hand swing will be affected. Once hand swing is affected, oxygen cost only increases. Once oxygen cost increases, energy will not go directly to running but to other unnecessary movements.

Further to this, those who wear arm straps which holds their belonging while running will have their running gait and balance in running to be affected as one hand will do the work and the other will be not moving. This is not a good idea and the body will pick up some habits that will be detrimental to a good form of running. 

By showing the video analysis of his running style Thow Wee was able to correct his running style. He was able to know his mistake now. Right now, he will have no problem to run efficiently.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.