Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tim Dickinson - 2hr 23min 35sec in London Marathon 2002

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Tim Dickinson - A Great Friend Indeed

Since the Singapore Standard Standard Chartered Marathon race is coming, I have decided to write on my friend who later on took up a marathon and did 2hrs 23min and 35sec for the London Marathon 2002.

When I was in Loughborough University of Technology, England, one such person who I have gratitude and appreciation, for showing me the direction to my marathon achievement, is Tim Dickinson. One or two weeks into running with the Loughborough Athletics Club members, Tim introduced himself to me. He was very kind to me. I was not used to any runners there and I was not in talking terms with any athletes there, earlier on. No Singaporean athletes were training there. I heard that one or two students who ran with the club gave up their training with the club runners for two reasons. One was because of the weather, it was too cold for them. The second reason was because of the Loughborough Athletics runners were too fast to catch up.

Tim introduced me to great friends like Gordon Reid (best junior from Scotland), Tony Bignell and most importantly my coach by the name of Alan Guilder. It was because of Tim that I could go for my daily runs with my coach in the morning. From Oct 1992 to June 1993, I was training with Alan. I was taking Alan as a training partner at that time. Knowing that Alan was a person who was knowledgeable in running, I decided to ask Alan to take me into his wings as Tim. He gladly agreed to this and within two months I did 2hrs 28min in the Berlin Marathon Sept 1993.

Coming back to Tim, he was a dedicated runner. He used to share with me on running. He became our cross country team captain over time in the University. In one race where I did 31min 46sec for the 10km, Tim did a fantastic run of doing sub 31min for the 10km race. Over time, I realised that from Loughborough University, the two runners who came top 10 was Tim and I. That was great as we were training with Alan Guilder. In London Marathon, Alan had done 2hrs 23min in the year 1993. Alan has a personal best time of 2hrs 21 min running in the Robinhood marathon 1993. After my exams, I saw less of Tim and Alan.

Very recently, after a long time of not in touch with each other, finally, I got in touch with Tim and requested him to answer the interview and he gladly came forward. The reason for giving this interview is to motivate the runners running in the Standard Chartered Marathon (Singapore). The other reason for doing this is to tell the world that without Tim, I would not have achieved what I have achieved in the past. The greatest thing he did was introducing me to my coach, Alan Guilder. From Alan, I found the right way to train.

An Interview With Tim Dickinson

What sport are you interested in?
I am interested in running.

Can you tell us on your personal best time for 800m, 1500m 3000m, 5000m, 10000m, half-marathon and marathon?
800m - 2min 01.6sec,
1500m - 3min 57sec
3000m - 8m 29sec
5000m - 14min.48sec
10000m -30min 20sec
Half -Marathon - 65min 41sec
Marathon - 2hr 23min 35sec

Can you tell us the age that you were able to attain your personal best time for half -marathon?
It was when I was 30 years of age.


Can you tell us the age that you were able to attain your PB for marathon?
It was at 30 years of age.


Can you tell us in detail on the marathon race that you did your personal best?
London marathon 2002, felt tired all the way around due to the half marathon still being in my legs from 3 weeks earlier, last 7 miles suffered terribly but managed to keep the pace reasonable, passed halfway mark in 70.00 exactly!! finished in 2.23.35

Can you tell us about your achievement in your degree days?
My best results were when I ran in the Southern XC 1996 and I came in first in the British Students Cross country-Championships 1996. I came in 3rd in the UK Intercounties 1995.


How were you balance studies and your chosen sport when you were at the Loughborough University of Technology?
Running always came first over studies so it wasn't a problem !!


How was your girlfriend/wife support in running?
Tolerated but never really supported!!


How were your parents support when you were actively involved in your sport?
I believe that they could have supported more. However, before I won the Southern Cross-Country Championships, I came 3rd and my mum said to me after, if you had run a little bit faster you would have won!!

Right now, can you tell us on whether you are still training?
Right now, I cycle 130-230 miles per week just to keep in shape, rarely run due to long term (5yrs) calf injury!! am still the same weight as I was in 1996!!


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.