Monday, November 1, 2010

Great Eastern Women 10km Race (Part 2) - 31/10/2010 (Sun)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Great Eastern 10km Run - A great day where women participated actively in running 10km.

As soon as I heard that the first runner was coming in, I had to run about 70 metres to the finish point area, just outside the gantry, near Padang. The expectation of a Kenyan runner coming in was great in me. However, this was proven wrong when the announcer told loudly that it was Vivian Tang who was coming in at the last 100m stretch. I wanted to have a glimpse of her finishing. She looked very happy as she was approaching the finish point.

Over time, it came as a surprise to see Sheryl Loh coming in fourth. She had a lot of energy still at the last portion of the race and I witnessed her sprinting at the last 70 metres, mercilessly. After taking some photo shots of Sheryl Loh, I told myself that I would like to interview Vivian and Sheryl for their feat in running in a creditable time. I thought of doing Vivian's first.

I went over to Vivian and took a photo of Vivian and Sheryl together. When I asked Vivian some questions, she was very glad to answer all the questions.

Hence, I was thinking of sharing with others what a champion usually think of while running a race, by my asking essential questions to Vivian through a one to one interview.

An Interview with Vivian Tang.

Picture 1 - Standard Singapore Marathon Champion 2008.


How was the run today?
It was a good day for me. Generally, the first 5km was flatter and the next 5km was a bit tough. I had to negotiate 3 U-turns which decelerated my speed at that portion of the run. Also, at the FI track, I felt alone running through the route and there was nobody to cheer me up to run faster and I found that it was very challenging and I had to use own effort to drive myself to run faster, in order to get a good time or personal best. It was very challenging mentally and physically at that part. Other than that this portion of the race, I felt very motivated throughout the race route.

Were there hills during the 10km race?
There were 3-4 gradual hills to negotiate altogether.

Your lead was huge. How do you feel when you finished the race with no competition?
I was running with a group at first. Over time, I realised that there was no competitor who was giving competition during the race. Taking opportunity of this, I was able to open up the gap further.

The negative point about running without competition was that I could have done a better time with competition. The more the competition, I know that the chances of an improvement in time is higher.

The positive thing of not having much competition today was that it made me confident when I was leading the race. It gave me composure, calmness and I felt very relaxed when I ran just now. I told myself to go as fast as I can and it was a very good feeling that I was having.

How was the weather generally?
It was cool at first and it was getting warm over time. However, I found the effect negligible as this is just a 10km race and my performance was not affected.

Were you predicting that you will definitely win the race?
I did not know that I will win today. There is always the element of things being unpredictable. Only time will tell, over time, who will win. I am fortunate that I won the race and I am happy even though the time of 38min 32sec is not up to my mark.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.