Sunday, November 21, 2010

Latest News - Penang Bridge Marathon (21st November 2010, Sunday)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sheryl Loh - Does it again, another sub 42min for 10km.

My friend Venugopal, one of the top Malaysian runner, whom I met in Bali a few years back, finished his half -marathon race and informed me about Penang Bridge run from Malaysia while I was in Singapore. He told me that he ran the men's race and came in first with a time of 1hr 14min. He had to start his race around 3am. He also found the weather to be humid although there was no sun and this may have affected his race. Venugopal told me in the phone that the weather was making him feel a bit uncomfortable, even though the race started in the early hours of the morning.

His friend Sharharudin Bin Hashim, 35, a policeman came in first for the men closed section (Malaysian section) with a time of 2hr 47min 26sec. Official results of the event will take some days to be out.  The marathon race started at about 2am. Venugopal told me in the phone that it started raining between 4:30am and 5:15pm. He also commented from Malaysia that the whole morning was spent by the runners in light drizzle. In the women section Clerk Ch'ng Lay Khim, 42, came in as the best finisher in the women's full marathon with a time of 3hr 52min 08secs.

Mr Chan Meng Hui, another of my friend, who is about 80 years of age, the tour organiser told me from there that 24000 odd from 69 countries took part in it. 200 flights were cancelled because the run consists of running on the bridge, for a certain distance. The interesting thing about the run is that Mr Chan found Goh Shu Wei, 28, proposed to his girlfriend, teacher Miss Chan Yen Nee, to marry just 10 metres before the finish line.

As expected, in the Men Open Marathon, the Kenyans dominated the top nine positions. First, second and third position went to Alex Melly, Robert Kiplagat Kosgey and James C. Tallam, who recorded 2hr 24min 30sec, 2hr 27min 43sec and 2hr 27min 49sec, respectively. Mr Chan told me that in the Women Open section Jepkemboi Chesire, 25, came in as the champion with a time of 2hr 59min 14sec to beat Lucy Karimi Mugambi who ran 3hrs 06min 07sec
In the 10km men open race, Wong Kang Yan, a member of our training group did a time of 40min 39sec, which was a personal best time. In the past, his personal best time was 47min plus. His main target for this year is to do a sub 4 hours for the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010.  

Coming back to the Penang Bridge race, in the 10km junior section for the boys was dominated mainly by boys from Thailand. Venugopal told me that not many Malaysian runners who are students of elite calibre turned up for the race. However, from the timing, it was found that the 10km time of the junior race was fast.

The men open and women open 10km started at 6:15am. In the women race, Sheryl Loh was able to replicate the 10km time by doing a sub 42min for the race before she sets off for her medicine course in Monash University (Australia). I was talking to her from Singapore and she responded to my questions.

An interview with Sheryl Loh

How did you find the race route?
The race route was interesting, especially the stretch leading up the Penang Bridge which was particularly scenic. However, there were no distance markers at each kilometer, which would have been very helpful in keeping track of my timing for each kilometre splits.

What was your timing for the race?
I ran the 10km in 41min 39secs.

How do you find the weather there in Penang?
When I started my race at 6.15am, it was much colder than expected, especially compared to races in Singapore where the start times are later and the weather is more humid. This was probably due to showers in the early hours of the morning, around 5am when I reached the event start site. Many half-marathoners and full marathoners had to finish their races in the pouring rain!

What position did you get?
I got 4th position in the Women's Open category for the 10km run.

Are you happy with the pace that you had set for your self?
Yes. I wish that I could have run a personal best (sub 41min 25secs), however, I did my best given the race conditions (very cold weather, did not warm up adequately) and I am very happy that I managed to sub 42min for my race. This is the second time I am doing it.

What was your strategy for the race?
I tried to control my pace at the start instead of going out too fast, which was a mistake I made during the Great Eastern 10km race in October. It was difficult to stick to my race plan due to the lack of distance markers so I just ran at a pace that I felt I could comfortably sustain for the 10km. Because my friend Kang Yan was running the Men's Open 10km as well, he helped to pace me for the first 7km. I really appreciate that. 

Any more race that you are preparing for?
As for now, I have not decided anything yet. I have been told by my coach to do a transition phase of relaxing for 2-3 weeks by not running much. However, he has allowed me to do a 20min jog per day as I like to run every day. After 3weeks, I shall start my new season.

Do you feel good that you have done two sub 42minutes within a month?
Yes. I would like to thank my coach Mr Ram for his invaluable guidance and training partners Kang Yan, and running buddy Marissa Sng from Bendemeer Secondary School, as well as Mr Chan Meng Hui who helped to handle the trip logistics.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.