Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dr Benny Goh - 3rd, Local Standard Chartered Marathon 2009

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Dr Benny Goh - Aiming for a 2hrs 45min for the marathon

Picture 1 - Dr Benny Goh, is versatile in marathon and ultramarathon

How did you feel when you got the third position in the Standard Chartered Marathon 2009?

I was very surprised but at the same time happy with myself! It was the first time that I was racing in the Standchart Marathon and I was able to come in third in local men's open category. I went to race telling myself to do my best but did not expect a podium finish. I also got to thank Coach Mr Ram, Daniel Ling and all the students for their tireless support during the race. For the previous 3 Singapore Standard Chartered marathon, I was volunteering myself as a pacer for either the 3.45 or 4-hour group.

Picture 2 - Dr Benny Goh managed the 3rd spot with a timing of 2:56:44.

Can you tell us about your personal best for the marathon?
My personal best was achieved during the 2010 Boston Marathon. I completed in about 2.50 hours. I went to the race with a fair bit of apprehension. I had been warned by many friends as well as race reviews about the tough hilly course of the Boston Marathon and it would not be a PB race. My previous PB of 2.52 hours was set in Nagano Marathon 2009 in Japan. The course then was definitely a flat one and was easier than Boston. I believe that the main reason that I managed to do a better timing in Boston even though it was a tougher route was due to the awesome race atmosphere and support. There was at no time during the race that I felt lonely because there was never a quiet stretch along the route. Everyone would be cheering you on and calling out your number. I hope to see this happen in Singapore marathon.

How did your parents feel about your top 3 placing?
They were certainly surprised. They never expect their once obese son in school can come in third!

Can you share with us on how long you have been training for the Standard Chartered Marathon 2010?
My training cycle for each marathon is usually 3 months. I feel that it's not too full for me to feel burnt out and neither is it too short for me to recover from fatigue and injury if there is any. The training will comprise of both long-distance runs as well as speed work.

What is your Sundown Marathon 2010 84km personal best?
7:27:43 hours

What kind of time are you planning to do for the upcoming Standard Chartered Marathon 2010?
I hope to better my previous PB set in Boston. I am targeting a 2.45 hours.

Where do you train normally?
My usual training area for long runs will be around East Coast Park, Macritchie and Pierce Reservoirs. I will also run around my estate in the East Coast area for my morning runs. These places provide me with both flat and hilly terrains.

How long do you work per day?
My clinical days usually start at 8.30am and end around 7.00pm, average about 10 hours.

How do you balance work and training?
I always try my best to finish my runs in the morning before starting work, so that I would not be bothered by my running schedule for the day. Of course, it takes a fair bit of discipline to force yourself out of the bed in the wee hours, but the feeling of freshness after the run and before work is awesome.

What do you think about the route of the marathon.?
The 2010 edition of the Stanchart marathon will see a new route even though the usual East Coast Park and Nicoll Highway are still part of it. The new route will be more beautiful and scenic. I will get to run down Orchard Road with the dazzling Christmas lighting and the Marina Barrage which will be refreshing. There will also be new challenges in this new route. I expect the new route to be less flat than the old course. And Standchart will have the equivalent of Boston's Heartbreak Hill and it's the up the Sheares Bridge at the last leg of the race.

Which do you like, marathon or ultramarathon?
Both are different. The standard marathons test your speed and endurance. The ultras really test more of your endurance and perseverance and made me realized the power of self-belief. I like both, but I will choose marathon if given a choice as I can rest earlier:)



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.