Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Xu Pei Hua - From The Champion Mainstream School (Dunearn Sec School)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Xu Pei Hua - One of the Dunearn Dynamites.












I remember that, during my teaching practice at Dunearn Secondary School in 1989, the first girl or student that I had approached to run for school was Xu Pei Hua. Wow! To my amazement, Pei Hua was very willing to join and train for the National Schools' Cross-Country and track and field championships from then on. I remember that Pei Hua and another student by the name of Zhou Meizan becoming very interested in running. In National Schools' Cross-Country race, Pei Hua came in 3rd in the C Division once. Over time, the team made up of Pei Hua and Meizan plus other girls that I had recruited into the cross-country team came in as the champions of B Division, Under 17 race. When I left Dunearn Secondary School to teach in Clementi Town Secondary Sch, this team eventually did me proud by coming in as the champions.

To mainstream schools, this should serve as an inspiration to struggle and reach the top. It is achievable because Dunearn Secondary School has already done it. Hurray to them! Impossible is nothing!

Later on, because of the talent of both girl's running, both runners were able to go to Anglo Chinese College School to study. The teachers kept pestering me for these two athletes as they felt that they will help their team immensely. Therefore, I helped ACJC since they approached me in a warm manner.

Over time, I was very serious in my training and I had less time for these two girls and at the same time, I was willing to let these girls train with the cross-country coach there. The coach there at that time was an understanding person.

Over a period of time, Xu Pei Hua got more interested in running. However, suddenly, her mother, who used to support Pei Hua in running got into a hit and run accident. I went down to the hospital to see her mother. From then onwards Pei Hua had to study and look after her mother. The teacher-coach of ACJC, at that time, understood her problem and allowed her to take care of her mother and train less in running. Even with this, Pei Hua did not, at all cost, give up on her routine exercise for health and running races, even though not intensively.

From experience, Pei Hua is an appreciative person who has gratitude and appreciation. She usually gives a high level of respect when she meets me. Although she is a lecturer in Polytechnic, she still calls me 'Sir'. Usually, people call me by Mr Ram or Rameshon. She possesses great humility and does not put on airs even when she does well in something, even in running. The best part that I feel elated meeting Pei Hua is for her listening endlessly to running. She is one of the best role model athlete that I have ever seen.

In her life, I found that she has always been keeping herself fit. Pei Hua is still as slim as before. She still believes in running races, although not seriously. In short, she is the best ever former student to take exercise as a lifelong pursuit in terms of not giving up exercise for a long time. As her former teacher and coach, I feel that it is a success for me in terms of instilling the benefits of fitness and healthy living. I will be very happy if she continues like this.

Meeting her and Meizan was very inspirational for me when they told me to take over the vice-principal position in Dunearn Secondary School when they found that the then vice-principal was leaving and at the same time I was leaving, as a trainee-teacher to the then College of Physical Education. I realised that they were not matured enough but I could see the real deep passion that they had in running.

Meizan has put her two sons in very active exercise programs so that they cultivate a healthy habit towards sports. She keeps calling me at times on what is best for her sons. This is also a success for me. Proper motor skills are very important for children so that they can excel in sports. We should be well informed about the maturation of children to develop them physically and mentally.

Currently, Pei Hua still runs marathon and trains frequently and has a strong belief that exercise for life is very important for human survival and she has not changed her opinion on this.

Hence, I told her that to me she is the greatest success of a student carrying on sports for life. She was surprised when she heard this recently.

Also, I felt that it will be very beneficial for my athletes, friends and all to come to know of this courageous and resilient lady who also has very excellent spiritual, fitness and health ideals.

Interview in the next post in the blog tomorrow.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.