Sunday, January 23, 2011

SAA Cross - Country Championships (Part 2 - 22/01/2011)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

SAA Cross - Country Championships 2011

Picture 1 - Hwa Chong boys came in second. Four to run and three to count.










Yesterday, the surprise came when Raffles Institution, as opposed to Victoria Secondary, came in first in the Under 15 Boy's race. Hwa Chong came in second for the race. Even more surprising was the third position went to Bendemeer Secondary School. Many people were wondering whether Victoria Secondary will be able to deliver just like previous years.

During the race, a parent commented that winning of the race depends on the final day, National Sch Cross-Country Race, and not the SAA race. He said that the weather was ok. He told that sometimes the day can be very hot and sometimes cooling.

He also commented that he was not able to see many schools yesterday who can surprise the field in the national schools' cross-country championships 2011. He told that much is yet to be seen.

In the Under 20 Boy's race, RI and Hwa Chong came in first and second, respectively.

I saw two students feeling very dehydrated during the race. One of them was not able to breathe properly. The first-aid was called upon. The first-aid came to assist immediately. When contacted the teacher-in-charge, she did not know the cause of it. Even after 2hrs, it was found that the female student had not recovered, although she was feeling slightly better.

In one race, I saw a runner who came from the mainstream school by the name of Tinesh from Bendemeer Secondary School. He told me he felt very happy winning an individual position of 4th, hence I interviewed him.

An Interview With Tinesh

Were you happy with the race?
It was a memorable race. I really pushed at the last part of the race. I felt that for the first time, I finally my inner strength. All the while I did not know I had it.  

How did your father feel about this?
He was delighted on the way I ran my race. He felt very pleased. I saw my son at the last 300m of the 5km race. He was around 25th position. I told him not to wait too long. He decided to go for it and came in overall over u 15 and u 18 years old around 10. Finally, I felt elated when it was announced that he was the fourth position.

How do you find the weather?
At first, before the start of the race, it was very hot. When the race started, I felt that the weather was suddenly cooling and windy.

What was your timing?
My time was 19m 37sec.

How do you feel on your team getting  Team 3rd?
It was a good feeling and I am proud of this that my school has done well. However, ACS (I), Catholic High and other schools may have something up in their sleeves.

How did your girl's team fair?
Only Marissa Sng did well by coming in 8th position. Last year, she did 22minutes plus. Today, she did 19min 15sec in the 4.3km run. In the inter-constituency race, she came in 7th last year. She is running consistently and so we feel that she has a very good chance of coming in top 10 this year.

Last year, I was elbowed by this boy from a school wearing a brown singlet. Marissa was blocked most part of the race by a girl. We just hope that these incidents do not happen again.

After hearing this I contacted Marissa Sng's mother about the incident and the daughter winning the top 8 positions.

When contacted Marissa's mother she gave her feedback on the race. She told that she is going to come down personally to the race so that fairness is practised in the national schools' competition. Jenny said, "I hope that coaches teach the runners the correct core value of fair competition". "Else, coming down for CCA and running in the competition will be of no use in the end". "I am very happy that my daughter has done a very good personal best timing today," she said.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.