Sunday, December 7, 2014

Stanchart Marathon 2014 - Kenneth Mungara wins (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Stanchart Marathon 2014 - Many found it very hot and it affected their race time.

Today, while I was driving half-way going for the marathon race to see whether I could run in the race. I had to pull out of the race as I did not feel good. I had to see the doctor and he told me that it was a lucky thing that I pulled out of the race. In fact, he gave me some medicine to help me recover. 

Then, I went down for the IAAF Coaches course at Kallang Stadium to continue the course, although I was given a one-day medical certificate to cover me. It was around 10 40am. 

Andy Behl, one of our course mate, was assessed for triple jump. It was good that he brought our group into a shady environment, which was under the admin building, to do the triple jump, simple stage to a bit more complex stage practice. Hence, we had some cool time in the shade before we went out in the long jump pit to practise to a lead up to a more complex skill of the triple jump. Hence, I knew from here that the day was hot for the marathon. I was drinking a lot of water endlessly as the weather was scorching hot.

The winning time was respectable for our local and for foreign runners here, but it was not fast enough, I guess, especially because of the weather. 

Most of our Flexifitness adult runners have taken part in numerous overseas marathon races. 

Our runners, Moses Ng, Joseph Ho, Jensen Toh, Colin Chua, Wang Yan, Moonlake, Violet, Mary, Chin Peng, Kenny Lee, Lee Nguan, Andrew Liew(Ashley Liew's father) ran either the 10km/half-marathon/full marathon. We will be putting up the race results of them soon. As far as I am concerned, I am happy with the fast group and the slower group of our runners, irrespective of whether they have done a personal best time or not.

I will be putting up the results later in the night, today. I was also able to meet Haile Gebrselassie and he has given some excellent tips to running, two days before the marathon.

I believe that the blog post readers can benefit from reading the essential things that he has suggested us to do. 

Haile ran his race today and came in 3rd in Men Open in the 10km race with a wonderful time, running in this weather.

It was also good that Channel News has put up their reports on Kenneth Mungara win in Men Open marathon race today. I am featuring this below, please read. It is a report not by us, please take note of this as we do not want to infringe the copyright law.

Channel News Asia Report on Stanchart Marathon 2014 race today. 

This year's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (Elite Men's Open) race is Kenneth Mungara's second victory - his first was in 2010.

SINGAPORE: The Kenyans continued their domination of the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore. Kenya's Kenneth Mungara crossed the finish line first in the Elite Men's Open category in 2 hours 16 minutes and 40 seconds on Sunday (Dec 7).

This is his second marathon victory in Singapore - his first was in 2010. Mungara said after the race: "I'm very happy. The weather today was very good." He added: "I will celebrate with my family when I go back home."

His compatriots David Kiptui Tarus (02:19:07) and Charles Kanyao (02:19:18) came in second and third in the 42km race respectively.

In the Women's category, Amare Wagnesh of Ethiopia grabbed first place with a time of 2 hours 46 minutes and 53 seconds. Amare's win broke the hold the Kenyans have had on the Singapore Marathon. Kenyans Elizabeth Chemweno (02:47:50) and Pauline Wangui (02:48:59) came in second and third.

Marathon legend Haile Gebrselassie came in third in the 10-kilometre race, but the two-time Olympian was delighted to complete his run in under 30 minutes.

SEA Games gold medallist Mok Ying Ren defended his title in the Singapore category despite just recovering from an injury. His time was 2 hours 53 minutes and 43 seconds. Rachel See won the Local Women's Open category in 3 hours 17 minutes and 13 seconds.

Meanwhile 84-year-old marathoner, Chan Meng Hui set a new milestone. He completed his 100th marathon in 8 hours 50 minutes and 45 seconds. Known affectionately as Uncle Chan, Singapore's oldest marathon runner is already looking forward to finishing his 101th race next year.

He said: "I'm very thankful that all of you waited for me. Sorry, I took so long! But you all motivate me and I told myself that by hook or by crook, I must finish it. Because of your support, I will come back for my 101th next year."

More than 53,000 runners took part in the various categories of the marathon. Culture, Community and Youth Minister Lawrence Wong flagged off the race for the elite runners at Orchard Road at 5am.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.