Monday, December 30, 2013

Yeo Kim Hong Ran 105km To Win MR 25 Ultra-Marathon 2013

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Picture 1 - Ming Ming (7th overall women, third from right in photo), showing her finisher medal after the race

Displaying image.jpeg


Yesterday, while I was running at MacRitchie Reservoir 10km loop, people were thinking that I was running 30-35km in total. They were even asking me why I did not join the race, seeing me covering as many rounds as possible. 

It was a good question that they were asking me. I think I will write on why it is not good to mix ultramarathon with marathon. 

After many years of running marathon races, the only think that I feel happy to do is to see myself run a very long distance route, at least 50km and above. Last year I did 60km, hence, this year I wanted to do a 70km at least. Of course, I was not intending to do a 80km and above run. If ever, I want to do, it will be in future and it will not be competitive. 

Difference between Ultramarathon and Marathon

Another thing about ultramarathon and marathon is that both sports are a little different. I have seen my friends not able to do well in marathon races but are able to do well in Ultramarathon races. 

Nevertheless, a marathon time will definitely enable one to do well in an Ultramarathon race. If one is young and training for a marathon, it is advisable to stick to a marathon training regime. Both trainings is different.

This year, a number of Flexifitness runners came to run and witness the MR 25 Ultramarathon race and support them. Ashley came to do a short run in between to support me and Ming Ming and the rest of the Flexifitness team. While running clockwise, I met Yeo Kim Hong doing his Ultramarathon anti-clockwise run without stopping. While he was asking me on how many rounds I was running, I asked him on his rounds that he was running, somewhere at 4pm plus. He told me" Next is going to be my 8th round", and he kept running.

Finally, he emerged first in the Men Open Race. I found out from him that he ran 10 rounds around the 10.5km loop route. 

We interviewed him after the run.

An Interview With Yeo Kim Hong

Displaying image.jpeg




















1. Why do you run this race?
Nothing special, as I love to run.  

2. What was your target?
I was targeting 9 laps in total. I had another 2 hours to spare upon finishing my 9th lap run. Hence, I made full use of the time to run another lap to make it 10 for this year's Ultramarathon. 

I am happy with me new achievement of 100km this year. 

3. Are you happy with the race?
Yes, I did not expect to win as there isn't any result status throughout the whole race. There was no expectation in me. I let the results take care of itself.

4. How do you find the organisation of the race as a whole?
It was organised by one of the oldest running clubs in Singapore. They have their own way of working. The thing I find is that the people who did the organisation were friendly and helpful. 

5. How do you find the weather?
It was superb. I do not have anything to complain about. It was cooling with no rain. I was actually hoping for rain. Throughout the day, I could hardly see the Sun.

6. How was the terrain like?
I would say that the terrain is generally as compared to other Ultramarathon races in the region. We are fortunate to have such terrain. 

7. What is your next race?
I will be participating in Safra Avventura, an adventure race which comprises of running, cycling, kayaking and rope climb. It will be in mid-Jan.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.
https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif