Friday, December 6, 2013

The one strategy I took during Stanchart Marathon 2013

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Strategy - If Plan A doesn't work, it is good to go to Plan B.

As soon as the race started, an Indian athlete shouted angrily of the unfairness and ran to the front. At Penang Road, he gradually lost out to Jensen Toh and me. I was going at a pace of 4min as expected. I was trying out this and was able to sustain for the first 5 kilometres and reached nearly 20min flat, but slowed down by a few seconds. At 10km, I reached around 41mins.

It was here that I told myself that I am going to hold on to this 4min per km all the way. The problem came when I had to bypass one of the drinking points and it was a costly mistake. I knew that towards the last portion, I may be affected by this action which was unforeseen.

At the 21km mark, I reached the point at about 1hr 32min plus. Hence, I was actually doing my best to go a 4min 10sec pace and faster. I slowed down at some portion of the race and ran fast at some parts of the race. Eventually, I did 3hr 10min 17sec. My Gun time showed that I did 3hr 11min plus. Officials took the gun time. I believe that the officials should take the net time as it is my actual time.

Overall, I found that I was sticking to a 4min to 4min 30 sec pace throughout as forecasted by myself just before the marathon. I did a nearly 5min pace towards the last few kilometres. I was happy that I was able to stick to my strategy so that at least I may be able to do a 3hr 32min. The great thing that happened was that I did 3hr 10min 17sec.

The bonus thing that came was that I was tenth position in the International Masters Open for men's marathon. Many congratulated me when I was at the Padang while a number of them congratulated me through SMS.

I would like to thank all those who had supported me. Also, I wish that in future you will have a strategy for your self to do well. If Plan A doesn't go well, Plan B should come in. This is my advice.

The next strategy that will be planned by Ashley Liew and myself will be done in Myanmar for the upcoming South East Asian Games 2013. It is only after the race that I may be discussing on this, that is if Ashley Liew allows this information to be out as well.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.