Monday, March 4, 2013

Ashley Liew 34min 55sec in Reedy 10km Run on 02/03/2013

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng

Ashley Liew - Does his first 10km in 3 degrees with a time of 34min 55sec.

Picture 1- Elite winners of the Reedy 10km Run




I asked Coach Rameshon on Ashley's performance in the recent 10km race. The former told me that he was very happy to hear this. 

"Anything below 8 degrees, it is going to be very cold and it will affect your race in a negative way, " so said Coach Rameshon. He told me that the colder the weather one's performance would definitely be hampered, according to sports science. 

As it is the first time that Ashley is running in this race, it is good that Ashley is doing a sub-35min 10km.

Coach Rameshon remembers doing a 34min plus 10km in England before doing a 2hr 28min for the Berlin Marathon 1993 on Sept. The keyword he said was patience in training and performance. 

Picture 1 - Ashley Liew, a champion for  his age category




An Interview With Ashley Liew

What was the distance of the run?
It was a 10km run.


What is the time that you have done in the run?
34min 54sec.


Can you tell how your race went on that day?
I was hoping for a 33min flat run. It started snowing and raining before and during the start of the race. The temperature was 3 degrees Celcius. The ground was a bit slippery. The course was tough as well which included 2 steep uphills....but I still felt strong on the uphills due to my training. I, in fact, during the race, overtook a number of people who were in front of me at the hills. I was going at a good pace throughout. I hit the first mile at 5min 20sec, which was spot-on for my target 33min plus final time. I was running at a constant pace of 3min 18sec.

All was going well until we were reaching the last 1.2miles. After the 5th mile, I felt that the last 1.2mile was more than the exact 1.2mile. Why I am saying this is because all along I was running in a strong manner during the race, especially towards the last portion of the race, I did not slow down on my speed at any point. My speed was consistent and constant, a 3min 18sec per kilometres pace. 

It was surprised me when I crossed the line in 34min 54sec, eventually. I don't really understand how on earth my pace went from 3m 18sec to a 4m 10sec when, in fact, I was running fast towards the end. Several runners that I spoke to also believed that the final stretch was actually longer than 1.2mile. But, overall, I am pleased with a sub-35min in a 3 degrees Celcius temperature race.

How do you feel about this?
Not affected by this as I have already done my best.


How was the field during the race?
It was a very competitive race because the organisers formally invited elite runners to take part in this race. I truly enjoyed the race thoroughly.


What is your next step?
I have signed up for a 5km race which will be run near my place of stay and training ground.


How do you find the recent performance by  Flexifitness athletes in Zoo Run 2013?
Flexifitness athletes are doing very well, good results abounding. Great news! 



www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.