Thursday, December 8, 2011

Vegetarian Society's Idea of Compassion

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Vegetarian Society - Meeting George Jacob and Ganga Sudhan



All along due to my commitment to running and sports, I did not have time to meet people. 

After a few months of e-mail, finally, I met George Jacobs on 15th November on a Tuesday. He is the Vegetarian Society President. It was, a month back, and the meeting took place in the morning at Tiong Bahru Coffee Bean.

My intern Marcel Sng was there to take notes on the Vegetarian Society's current movement and the noble services they are doing to the society. I realised from Ganga Sudhan, the person-in-charge of website and media, speaking to me on the new things that they are trying to do to make people aware of being a vegetarian. 

I have covered on George Jacobs in my earlier blog. Hence, I will not discuss this as I have attached a link to ithttp://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2010/06/george-jacobs-president-of-vegetarian.html

Ganga spoke at length on being compassionate to animals and the good news was he told me that some schools have allowed the Vegetarian Society to speak on meatless on Thursday.  He told me that this is a new movement and Ganga was hoping that it will take off. Pro -Teach, a child-care centre having 29 outlets, has a day per week where children take only vegetarian food. I support this and hope that all schools will have as this which will definitely have an impact on the environment as a whole. Boys and girls will be less obese. It is in the hope that many will follow a compassionate way of living that I am featuring this in my blog. More food will be channelled to the needy ones instead of the animals. I was told by Ganga that the world has enough food to ensure that nobody goes hungry. However, this is not the case for the proper distribution of food to the needy. 

Another movement of the VSS is to introduce vegetarian diet to the shops. I was invited to El Toro at Penang Road and Ms Joy Mahbubahni told me that they don't mind adding a vegetarian diet like salad buffet for $9.90 on Thursdays to their shop to encourage healthy living. I hope that many, if possible all, can follow this. 

Ganga Sudhan invited me to come for a lunch treat to a vegetarian shop to hear him talk about being vegetarian. I listened to the talk and found the talk very worthwhile and enlightening. I realised that animals and the poultry farm are reared in a very unnatural way as compared to the past. I saw pictures which showed animals having a 'prisoner state of condition' in terms of the living environment. I also would like to write in detail on the talk given to others in this blog in Part 2. 

Next issue: Ganga Sudhan's message on why being vegetarian will be good.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.