Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Pick - Best Races for our local Marathoners to run in Year 2012.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)



Picture 1 - Similar to the Gold Coast Marathon and Hong Kong Marathon, there are many races overseas which will benefit runners who want to do a sub-3hr or sub 4hrs.

When I used to run races in the past, I used to be very choosy on running the race I want to run. 

I was once selected to run in an international marathon race in Pune, India, in the early 90s. I rejected the offer straightaway as the race was held in a very hot environment, like mid-day weather of Singapore. The then SAA officials were displeased at first. Later on, Mr Lim Jit Imm, the former Vice - President of SAA told me to run in Hong Kong marathon. In the past, Hong Kong marathon was flat and a fast course as compared to now. Currently, beset with a number of highways. I did 2hr 31min for the race and came in overall 5th position for the race. It was the first time I broke the Singapore National Record held by Tan Choon Ghee, Yvonne Danson's husband, which was 2hr 34min at that time.

Later on, in life, I chose races where there were many people doing between 2hr 08min to 2hr 10min. It was more of checking all the statistics of all the races in the world, especially the major ones. I wanted to see how many elite runners can do that time. At that time, I realised that the London marathon and Berlin marathon stood out from the rest of the marathon races. Chicago and Rotterdam were my dream races as well but I told myself to run in these shortlisted very important races for improving my timing in a marathon. 

In 1993, I did 2hr 29min in London, April, after sitting for my first-year exams and then four months later do 2hr 28min in Berlin. I was fascinated with the crowd and the way the races were organised. 

When I raced in SEA Games, Chiengmai weather, I realised that I was going through the dream weather that I actually wanted. I did 2hr 24min and Yvonne Danson did 2hr 34min for Singapore. 

Right now, there are many marathon races in the world that one can take part in. My advice to all is to avoid Berlin and London marathon unless one is in top form to run the race. Or if you like, just enjoy the charisma of the race and run for fun and not to the time. 

I ran the Berlin marathon in 2007 and 2008 and found running in the race not easy. It is too crowded. There was no space for me to run. I did 2hr 54min. I could have gone faster but I had to contain myself not to collide people on my left, right, front and back. I was very tired because of this. I told myself to avoid Berlin and London unless I aim for a goal to run sub- 2hr 30min. For top runners, this race will make sense and make one attain a good time. 

I ran the London marathon and found the same problem. I came to a conclusion, that if I am an elite runner, these two races will be a very good idea. 

Right now, it is advisable for marathon runners to run races like Hong Kong marathon and Gold Coast marathon 2012 race because of the ability for one to do a personal best time because of not too much crowding. The weather in Hong Kong has been good, except for the pollution from the highway. The water points are very good. However, the challenge is that this route has about 10 to 11 uphills, especially the long highways. One must be well prepared with some hill training.

The other race that is fast becoming popular is the Gold Coast marathon. Last year, I saw many runners able to run a faster time because of the flat course and the 10km races were placed a day before the marathon race. At the start line, it is easy to talk to your own athlete. 

I believe that Singaporeans who want to do well should do the Gold Coast Marathon 2012 in order to do a personal best time. The race is also very well organised. 

Picture 2 - Hong Kong Marathon is well organised throughout the year, although the route is very hilly.  


http://www.runningcoachsg.com/


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.