Friday, December 9, 2011

Samir Bhandari - Massive weight loss from 84kg to 74kg in 4 months

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By M.Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Picture 1 - Samir is on the right-hand side of me, wearing a black t-shirt standing. 

I met Samir Bhandari, 5ft 9inches, aged 45, who had decided to train for the half-marathon of the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon this year. He is at present working in Nomura Bank as a Managing Director (Fixed Income - Asia, excluding Japan).

Having not participated for any marathon, he asked me on how to run the marathon. I told him that if he wants to do a sub-4 hour in 1-3 years he could start running the half-marathon race first. Hence, he started training for it. I had to go slow on his program and my focus was on reducing his weight first and then to do proper training. Earlier, he went down in his weight from 84 and it went down to 79kg. He was also running a 10km in 1hr 20min at first and I saw this as very slow. This took about a month. His weight loss was within 2 months. Then, his weight fluctuated between 77 and 79 for some time. One month before the Stanchart Marathon, he did slightly more training and finally did the half-marathon in 2hr 23min and 43sec. At the same time, his weight has gone down to 74kg.

Right now, he is able to run a 10km in about 1hr to 1hr 05min and Samir is very happy with this kind of respectable training that is going on. 

In this post, he shares with us on why he had decided on running the half-marathon this year.

An Interview With Samir Bhandari

What was your weight in the past?
When I started the programme with you it was 84kg. I have this written in my diary which is dated 9th August 2011. 

Did you run when you were young?
No running history at all. I did not participate in any race at all either. 

What was the activity that you were doing when you were in the past?
Only in the age between 30 and 42, I was playing tennis twice per week. 

What about later on?
Between the age of 42 and 45 years of age, I did twice per week gym work with no running

Can you share with us on your weight loss diet?
Recently, I reduced the consumption of drinking, and at night I did not take any rice or chappati or deserts. I ensured that I am well hydrated at all time, at least drinking 2 litres of water per day.  I also ensured that I eat enough fruits per day.

Why was the reason for running the half-marathon?
I took up half-marathon for the sake of losing weight and for relieving stress through the correct way - exercise by running. I tend to focus on running and forget everything. Also, many people do not take part in 21km races. I realised that it would be a sense of achievement to do this. Hence, I took part in the race. Right now, to run frequently is an addiction for me. 

How was your training like?
I trained with Rameshon for 2 times per week earlier on, going on to 3 and then 4 times per week subsequently. Later on, I did a mock run and did the 20km in 2hr 09min, using the GPS. 

How did your family feel about your achievement?
My wife and children were all there cheering for me during the race. All were proud of me. My father from India was very happy to hear that I have completed the run successfully. My friends congratulated me by phoning me, using SMS and my workplace people also congratulated me. 

How did you feel achieving 2hr 23min 43sec?
A bit disappointed that I could have done 2hr 15min if there were more water points this would have been possible. The weather was also hot and humid. Moreover, there was the incoming crowd from 10km that we had to experience. This slowed my time a lot. Also, before the race, there were too many people. The terrain was also a tough one where we had to negotiate 5 uphills and downhills. Luckily, I did some form of hill training. 

What is your next target?
I would like to achieve a time between 2hr 05min and 2hr 10min for the upcoming Mumbai Stanchart Marathon in India on 18th of January 2012.

Overall how is your general feeling on the race?
I feel that I am on top of the world achieving this time and am looking forward to reducing another 3kg and achieve the goal time that I have set. I am thankful to Coach Rameshon to bring my weight down from 84kg to 74kg within 4 months and also to enable me to complete the half-marathon in 2hr 23min 43sec. 
 
www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.