Sunday, December 11, 2011

Oon Shui Kun - 3hr 24min in Singapore StanChart Marathon 2011 (First Experience)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Picture 1- Oon Shui Kun (left) and Rameshon (right). Oon Shui Kun's first marathon time was 3hr 24 with 30km per week training



Last year, around end January 2010, I had a post on Onn Shui Kun doing 35min 11sec on a tarmac track while Ashley Liew did 35min 14sec. I have mentioned that, besides S. Jeevanesh having the potential to do well in the future, Oon Shui Kun also has the talent to do well in a long-distance race in future. 

Right now, Shui Kun is doing his course in Police for his 2 1/2 years of National Service and he hardly had the time to train. Both of us had discussed the training programme in MacRitchie Reservoir and realised that it would be good to make the best out of the worst situation. He thought of making use of the very limited time he was given and trained accordingly. Whenever I was running near Jelutong Tower in Macritchie, I used to see Shui Kun running during weekends. 

He told me that on other days he hardly had the time to train for long-distance. His doing 3hr 24min in the recent first marathon was phenomenal considering his very low mileage. Hence, I thought that it would be a good idea to showcase a determined and disciplined runner like Oon Shui Kun to the public to motivate others to run. 
 

An Interview With Oon Shui Kun

How did you train for the marathon?
Between April and December, I was preparing to train to complete the marathon. 

How about your weekends?
Usually, no runs but the PT or further known as Physical Training did help me to improve in my running, even though there was no running training. With more running training, I would have done much better. Overall, my running training was for twice per week and it was not enough. 

Why did you take part in the marathon?
I am planning to take the marathon seriously in the future and was thinking of experiencing one this year. 

How was your mileage like when you train for this marathon?
My mileage was about 30km around there. Not much. My weekend formed about 95 per cent of the mileage training per week. 

Can you tell us your one long run per week that you have done for this race?
Once a week, I did 20km run. 

Can you share with us your experience running the first marathon in your life?
I thought that I could run all the way easily not knowing that I will be hitting the wall at the 30km mark. I was running in a comfortable manner all the way. At the last 10km, my glycogen stores were completed depleted and I had to make the best out of the worst situation. People say that the day was hot but it was not so for me. It was hot but not too hot. I felt that we started the race at 5am and this was good enough for me to not find the weather not that hot as others have mentioned to me. 

However, I still find that there were not enough water points. There were missing distance markers especially between 20km and 30km, it was not so for the earlier distances, even though some markers were not around between 1km and 5km. It would be a good idea to make all markers from 1km to 42km markers visible.

How is your feeling about the race since it is your first time completing the marathon?
I am feeling great as this is my first marathon. I am not able to describe this feeling, especially when I could finish the marathon distance. 

What is your future goal?
This completion of 3hr 24min is a great success for me. I find that I would like to take up a marathon and am hoping to do well in the future to succeed in this chosen sport of mine.

Next Issue - Lunch Treat at Dr Benedict Tan's house

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.