Sunday, December 4, 2011

My True Experience With Severe Dehydration

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Murugiah Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


There was once, when I was still doing my teaching practice at Dunearn Secondary School, at the age of 22, I took part in a 10km men open race. Even before the race, I was very determined to come in top 3 with many top runners running in it. 

Right from the start of the race, I was following my fellow former competitor by the name of Helmar Aslaksen, who had a personal best time of 31min 01sec for 10km. We were running all the way and then I realised that I was going to the point of being not comfortable and started to still keep running very hard and I was neck and neck with Helmar. 

Then, at one point, actually, I did not know what was going on. I was actually in a state of shock and was actually walking to the finishing. The people did not realise that I was not aware of what was going on. I did not know what was happening. This happened at the last 100m. From the last 100m till the end, the only thing I saw was the finish banner. 

Later on, the doctors were trying to bring me to consciousness and were doing their best to ice my body. This helped me to bring my awareness. The doctor who was attending me told me that he used to compete with me in the past and he was very friendly. 

Subsequently, I was sent to Singapore General Hospital. There I was given IV (intra-venous) drips to get my sodium, chloride and glucose solution. However, I realised that I could not move an inch of my body. Each time I move a part of my body, there was muscular cramps. Hence, I immobilised myself. 

Over a period of time, I was able to move my hands and legs. It took about 2 days and there were still check-ups. On the fourth day, I was allowed to be sent back. Later on, I was told that our team Swift Club came in champions and they needed my position to win. I was 10th and I finished the race. 


I found the real cause to be having drunk a lot of concentrated fruit juice which was sold in packets which we can drink without adding water. This must have made my blood more concentric, with the lack of water in the blood. 

My firm advice to all is to think of your loved ones and God-given life first, then think about the team. Lastly, we should think about winning individual. If we cannot do well in this race, there are many races that we can do to do well. While we are running, if we do not feel well, we must stop immediately. Heat stress can be more dangerous than cold stress. Hydrating a day before the race is very important so that we do not feel dehydrated during the race. In fact, hydration should be part of our life. 

From my earlier experience, I had decided that I should not play with fire during the run. If I just don't feel well, I would stop. This happened in London Marathon 2007 where I stopped and walked because of the hot weather which came as a surprise to all. I did 3hr 05min for the race and I did not do well. A man in the race actually completed the race, collapsed and died that year. About 4 months later I took part in Berlin on that year and did a sub 2hr 54min. Over time, I did 2hr 49min in the year 2008 in the Standard Chartered Marathon in Singapore and won the men open marathon race. Hence, sometimes it is better to stop when the body signals to stop. The watchwords have listened to the body.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’ by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.