Thursday, September 22, 2011

Yellow Ribbon Run 2011 - Lynn Lee's Experience

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Lynn Lee - Enjoys running for life.

I met Lynn Lee who is doing personal training with me currently. She started some training with me some 2 months back. She wanted me to take her into the running programme. I asked her about her age and she told me that she was 47. She also told me that she has been running some days per week, usually 2 days per week.

Looking at her programme, I told her to make some minor changes and she did it gradually. She included one day of swimming into her programme. I found out that her personal best time was nearly 6hours for the marathon. I also told her that she lacked some of the ingredients needed in the training programme. She was ready to change but to a limited extent. I decided to give some inputs and give my best advice for her to run a little faster over time.

I told her that she should be able to do a 5hour 30min in her marathon in the coming Standard Chartered 2011 and she was happy to hear that. 

Recently, in the Army Half-Marathon, she did 2hr 40min as opposed to her personal best time of 2hr 56min. Also, in the Yellow Ribbon Run 10km hilly run she did a time of 1hr 10min. In the past, her personal best time was 1hr 15min. 

As she is just enjoying her runs and just want to improve slowly, I decided to feature her to motivate those above 40 years of age to take up running as an exercise pursuit. She told me that she does not deserve this. I told her that the runners I met told me that it was motivating to hear of Lynn Lee's improvement. 

Hence, I decided to interview this runner who likes to enjoy running. Let us read her interview and find out more about the Yellow Ribbon Race that she did last week.

An Interview With Lynn Lee

What was your personal best time before for the 10km?
I could only do 1h 15 min in the past, not faster than that.

 What made you sign up for the Yellow Ribbon Run 10km run?
A friend asked me to join and I participated in it as it was for a good cause and in a way, I could contribute to the Yellow Ribbon Project.

How was your preparation for this race?
I could only do two to three times of training per week for this race. I was also busy with my work also. Hence, I had a hard time preparing for the race.

:)
What were you targeting for in this race?
I just want to finish the race in 1hr 15 mins. I told Coach Rameshon that I do not expect to do anything faster than 1hr 15min and he told me to just enjoy the run. However, he told me to a steady state run and not a fluctuating fast-slow run, he told me not to push at the downhill as I had this habit to run fast at the hill.

How was the turnout for this race?
The report said 9000 runners participated in the run

How was the crowd, the competitors, casual runners and supporters etc during the race?
Generally good with several cheer supporters along the route to cheer us on; as we also ran through some residential estates (mainly landed), some curious owners came out and cheered for us too. It motivated us to run without stopping.

How did you find the terrain?                                                         
There were several slopes as we have to run through traffic junctions, residential estates and some parts of the industrial park, starting from Changi Village and ending at the open field in New Changi Prison Complex

How was the organisation of the race?
Not bad although still have room for improvement: 
a) The race should start early instead of 7.45am as it became too hot once it is past 8am.

b) The shuttle bus travelling along the route from Expo to Changi Village is really jammed.

Are you happy with your time?                                                        
Yes, very happy.

What is your message for those 40 years old and above in running?                
Run your own race and listen to your body.


http://flexifitness.runningcoachsg.com/


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.