Monday, May 17, 2010

Li Jianrui - How to Balance Studies and Sports (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Li Jianrui - Continuing Sports as a Lifelong Pursuit

In the earlier issue, we looked at Sara Ng, the Chairperson of the Hwa Chong Inst (college section) Health and Fitness Club, who came in champion in the Osim International Triathlon 2010 race between the age of 16 and 19 years old for women. In this article, we shall look at yet another Hwa Chong alumni, and this time a male, who did well in the same event. Jianrui took part in the sprint race in the competitive event. Jianrui is also serving National Service in the Army. He overcame all odds by doing an Army overnight march a day before which left him very lethargic to take part in the event the next day. The spirit of sportsmanship and to do his best in all attempts in whatever he does made Jianrui to take part in the event in a courageous way.

In the past, Jianrui did not do well in the National School Cross-Country Championships 2009. However, he rebounded with resilience coupled with total intense dedication and determination and came in 6th in the 1500m race in the National School Track and Field Championships (Finals) 2009. On top of that, he also did very well in the GCE 'A' Levels by attaining 7As. Hence, let us find out more about this interesting young aspiring gentleman who is striving for excellence in sports and studies.

Results of Osim Singapore International Triathlon 2010 - The Sprint Category, 16-19 years old Individual (Men)
Name/Club   - Bike,  Run and Total Time
1 SAMUEL BURSTON Australia Arden High School 00:32:53 00:21:07 00:53:59
2 LI JIANRUI Singapore SAF 00:35:56 00:21:49 00:57:45
3 TAN JIAYU Singapore NGEE ANN POLY 00:35:21 00:22:47 00:58:07

http://www.triathlon.sg/results2010/Sprint_CategorySB.html

Why did you take up triathlon over time?
When I was in primary school, I was a swimmer. After I entered secondary school, I realised that I had a passion for running and would spend every weekend doing 10km runs by myself, exploring various places around my house. Some friends recommended me to try doing triathlons and pick up cycling and once I tried training for all 3 at once, I was addicted.

What motivated you to take up running and triathlon as a sport?
In JC, I was introduced to Mr Ram, the Hwa Chong Cross-country coach. He was very inspiring and had an excellent training programme. He inspired me to train hard and win. I decided that I wanted to excel in my sport and by working with Mr Ram, I would stand a good chance in excelling. After I joined the school running team, I made great friends who really made training the most enjoyable thing that has happened to me in school.

What made you take up running?
I first ran to improve my 2.4km timing for the school NAPFA test. That time I heard that the school cross-country runners could easily go under 9min for the distance and I wanted to try training up for it. The first time I went under 9 min by my own training, I realised that if I were to train, I could do well in running and more importantly, I realised that I enjoyed every single run I went for and when I was not running, I was looking forward to the next time I get to run.

What was your position in the Osim Triathlon and which category did you run for?
I got 2nd for the under 19years old sprint category. I wanted to race the sprint because I realised for my age group, sprint would have a good competition with many international competitors and I really wanted to have a chance to race against people with a lot of experience. In that short hour of racing, I learnt so much from my peers.

Were your friends, teachers and family happy to hear of your achievement?
They were very proud of me. The day before I had to do an overnight march with a heavy load in army and was very tired. My friends were very happy for me when they found out that my mental will managed to overcome my existing physical lethargy. While many people out there believe that getting 2nd means you lost the gold, my family was especially happy for me because they recognise that getting second means I won the silver. My parents have supported me very much throughout all my training. Whenever I had early training, my parents would wake up with me to make breakfast and send me to training. When I am tired, my mom often offers to give me massages to help my muscles relax. My dad would also often buy packets of ice to help me ice my tired muscles after heavy workouts.

Do you have any advice for balancing sports and studies?
Have faith in yourself. If you really want to do it, you can. When I was training and studying, I would make use of recess times to do homework and revise, after school, I would immediately go and study before I have training in the evenings. At home, rather than surf the internet or watch tv, have the discipline to revise. It is important to not be tempted by friends to play because as sportsmen, we have to understand that we have an extremely tight schedule, our friends might be able to afford time off to relax every day but that, unfortunately, is not a luxury we enjoy on a daily basis.

What do you think of continuing sports after JC?
Sports is not something we do when we are in school and forget once we are out. It is something we should bear with for life. I understand that competitive sport is not everyone's cup of tea but I do believe that everyone who is able to, should take part in sports on a regular basis. As for me, I would like to stay competitive for as long as I am able to. I have a great passion for my sport and love the feeling of challenging myself to do better. My motto in sports is to be better than who I was yesterday.

We wish Jianrui all the best for his journey towards excellence in sports and studies.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.