Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sara Ng - How to Balance Studies and Sports (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)


Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

A STORY OF LEAD BY EXAMPLE


The Sara Ng - 2008/2009 Health and Fitness Club Chairman of Hwa Chong Institution (College Section)

In the Osim Singapore International Triathlon 2010 on 11 April, Sara Ng, the former chairperson of Health and Fitness Club (Hwa Chong Inst - College Section) did very well by coming in as a champion in 18-19 year old women category for the Standard Distance. Earlier on, in Nanyang Girls School, she was coached by Au Ai Seng in swimming before she met me in Year 1 Junior College and converted herself to a cross-country athlete. At the same time, Sara was holding a portfolio as the Chairman of Health and Fitness Club in the year 2009.

Not only she is doing well in sports but also she is excelling in her studies as well. It is indeed our good fortune to know her, her great feats and achievements. Let us find out the motivation that had led her to attain success in studies and sports.

Results of Osim International Triathlon Championships 2010.
Standard Distance - Women Age Category Between 16 and 19.

Position / Country - Swim/Bike/Run Time and Total Time
1 SARA NG Singapore 00:36:06  01:24:34  01:01:34  03:02:14 
2 CHANG SHUWEN Singapore 00:29:53  01:39:29  00:57:32  03:06:53 
3 KEE WEN LI Singapore 00:43:01  01:41:48  01:26:56  03:51:44 

Why did you join the Health and Fitness Club?
The Health and Fitness Club was a very good platform for me to gain theoretical knowledge about training methods, diet, physiology and mental training. The health and fitness instructor course was especially useful and allowed me to put the knowledge into practical use. This helped me to better plan and maximize my own training in order to achieve even better performance.

Why did you take up running overtime?
As I was a netball player in secondary school, running was an essential part of fitness training and I found that it was an easy and effective way to maintain my fitness during the off season. Being a very accessible sport, it is something I can do alone and at any time.

What motivated you to take up running as a sport?
After I entered JC, I considered taking up running more seriously. I met Mr Ram and he encouraged me to join the cross country team for their training sessions. It was then when I truly experienced performance-oriented training and decided that I should test my own limits and see how far I can go in the sport. Apart from it being a good way to maintain fitness, I found that seeing my speed and stamina improve overtime was a great motivation to keep training.

What made you to take up triathlon?
I started swimming since I was 4 years old and went into competitive swimming at the age of 8. I was taught swimming by Mr Au Ai Seng, the life-guard of Hwa Chong Institution. From a beginner, he refined my strokes and improved to the level that I was able to become a competitive swimmer. Even though I am good at running, I perform better in triathlon. It is because of my dedicated coach of the past, Mr Au. Mr Au, even now is still competing in triathlon and he forms as a good role model to follow. Thanks to him.

Competitive sports probably became a big part of me since then. After taking up running seriously, progressing to triathlon became a natural thing as I was looking to push myself even further. Endurance sports interested me because it involved not only physical fitness but also a great deal of mental strength. Since I already had a strong background in swimming, I could focus on cycling and running in order to improve my triathlon performance.

What was your position in the Osim Triathlon and which category did you run for?
I came in 1st in for the 18-19 years old age group in the Standard Distance, which involves a 1.5km swim, 40km bike and 10km run.

Were your friends, teachers and family happy to hear of your achievement?
Yes, the win was definitely beyond my own expectations as well as that of my friends and family.

I heard that you trained and study during your GCE 'A' Levels Exams. Did you run in any race after the GCE 'A' Levels Exams?
Yes, 2 weeks before the A Level Exams, I took part in The North Face, which was a 25km run done in pairs. My partner and I came in 10th.

After the A Levels, I took part in the Singapore Sprint Series organized by Tribob, a multisport training coaching company. It was a series of 3 races, I came in 4th for the Aquathlon (750m Swim, 5km Run), 3rd for the Duathlon (3km Run, 18km Bike, 3km Run) and 2nd for the Sprint Triathlon ( 750m Swim, 20km Bike, 5km Run)

Do you have any advice for balancing sports and studies?
Sacrifices in terms of leisure time would definitely have to be made. It is important to first decide what your priorities are and determine your goals and targets. I decided that the A Levels and sport were my priorities, so I focused on only these 2 things and managed to score 8 As in the A Levels while continuing to train and compete.

The author would like to wish the athlete all the best in her sports as a lifelong pursuit and a successful career in the future.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.