Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chamkaur Singh - Part 2 of The Greatest Middle Distance Runner of Singapore

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)


By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Chamkaur Singh - The Sky is the Limit

Recently, Chamkaur Singh has been running the 5000m races. Currently, he has been attempting to do a sub 15min for the 5000m. To know more of the story, read more and get to know about this athletes' bold attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15naQbN9Tmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7tQ3w0yMzQ&feature=related

Interview Question

Recently, I saw the youtube on you running the 5000m. Can you tell something about your run?


1st Attempt to doing a sub 15min.

I am not sure which one you watched. There were three 5000m races that I ran between Jan to Mar 2010. I approached all three races differently, especially the first 3000m. The three races were run at different race pace. In my first race, my coach thought that anything under the 15.20min will be a good start to the season based on a 3000m time-trial that I did about a week prior to this race which I ran about 8.46mins. Although there was no real expectation in terms of result, I was still pretty nervous. The plan was to run the first 3000m in under 9mins but for some reason, I didn’t feel up to it. I ended up running 9.02mins for the first 3000m and finished off with a 3.03 last km and completed the race in 15.11mins. The splits were (2.58, 3.01, 3.03, 3.05, and 3.03). I was tremendously happy with my run because my initial season target was to run in about 15.15mins which would be 20secs quicker than last season’s time. Both my coach and I thought that if we were to race in dry conditions, instead of the rainy weather, an hour before the race, and that the race not delayed for an hour and approach the first 3000m in under 9mins, then we should get under 15.10mins for the next race.

Note
1st race of the season 5km race timing - 15min 11sec (Same timing as PC Suppiah's personal best time of 15min 11sec. PC Suppiah was once the Sportsman of the Year award winner). PC Suppiah's record was broken by Jagtar Singh (15min 06sec). Over time, N. Ganesan broke this time in Germany with a time of 14min 57sec.

2nd 5000m Race - Attempt to do a sub 15min

The preparation before the 2nd race was unfortunately interrupted. My niggling hip pain decided to flare up and I was struggling to do more than 30 mins per run. I had to cut back on all my long runs to 30min and in fact, that was all I was doing for my aerobic runs for the rest of my season. Fortunately, the faster track session didn’t bother my sacro joint but it did get sore after the session. I was actually on neurofen for about 2 months and I didn’t want to stop because I felt that I might be able to get under 15mins especially when the training was going really well. We didn’t do much race specific training prior to the 2 weeks before the 2nd race and we also missed out on planned 3000m time-trials. Luckily, I managed to squeeze in a 1500m time-trial where I ran a 4.04mins about 4 days before this race. Despite all this, I told myself that I was still fit and decided to stop thinking that I wouldn’t be able to hold the same pace as I did for the last 5000m race. I approached the 2nd race a little more aggressively, I wanted to run an 8.53mins for the 1st 3000m and see what I had left in the last 2000m. The pace was spot on, it was 2.56, 2.57, 2.57 and about an 8.53mins for the 3000m. At about the 2000m mark, I was getting a little anxious that I might get affected by the lactate build-up at the 3000m point. However, I still held on with the pace. I told myself if have to blow-up then so be it because of the fact that I wasn’t fit enough to attempt sub 15mins. When I hit the 3000m, I was rather surprised. Although, my arms weren’t that heavy they were definitely working. Unfortunately, during my last kilometer I really had to struggle all the way. It was the longest 1000m in my life. I was in terrible pain and feeling really sorry for myself. In fact, I knew that I was in trouble at the 3600m, my quads got really heavy and I wasn’t running tall. The splits for this race were 2.56, 2.57, 2.57, 3.06, and 3.11 and completed the race in 15.12mins. I didn’t like the feeling after the race and didn’t enjoy it at all.

3rd Attempt to do a sub 15min 10sec

The last race was in March was a complete surprise. The training preparation was great; we were doing race specific sessions although we were still missing the long run component. On race day, the conditions were awesome; it was a cool night with no wind. I was feeling pretty good but also nervous especially after how I felt after the last race. The approach towards the race this time was to run as evenly as possible. To hit the 3000m in 9mins flat and that should not be too taxing since I have done a 8.53mins in the last race. The first km was done in 3.00mins, it felt fine but I wanted to feel more comfortable. I wanted it to feel that I was just jogging but it didn’t feel that way. The 2nd km was also in 3mins and was feeling the same. However, I was not able to feel the rhythm. When I passed the 3000m, it was exactly 9mins and I was disappointed. I was hoping to feel or say to myself, “Ok, 2km to go, let’s pick up." Unfortunately, I felt that the effort I was putting was similar to running a 8.53mins. I kept pushing to maintain the 72 sec lap but about a lap after the 3000m, I noticed my lap times were slipping away from 72s to 74s and then to 75s. It was a disappointing run but I was able to manage a time of 15.21mins.

After the race, I struggled to recover from the race. It is a usual sight to see me walking after any race but this time I was lying on the track feeling pretty much exhausted. Maybe, I feel that the lack in depth of the long run component could have finally caught up on me, who knows? Anyway, my coach reckons that the long run component was an important part of the training that was missing. I wrapped up my season with a 1500m the following week and ran a 3.57.06mins. That 1500m race made up for my disappointing 5000m that I ran the previous week. Overall, I was happy with the season, improving in times for 1500m, 3000m, and 5000m.

Let us wish him all the best in all his endeavour.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.