Sunday, May 16, 2010

M. Ramachandran - The King of South East Asian Athletics (Long Distance)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


M. Ramachandran - The Invincible

Somewhere between 1987 and 1990, out of 5 very important half - marathon races ever run in Malaysia, I ran and competed in two races in Malaysia against Murusamy Ramachandran or better known as M. Ramachandran, the Malaysian greatest long distance ever.

Running SAA Cross Country Race and then Sunday's Kuala Lumpur Half -Marathon

Between the period mentioned, I won and came in first in the SAA Cross Country Championships, immediately, after receiving the prize, I had to leave for Malaysia from Singapore to run in the KL Half - Marathon. Mr Chan Meng Hui, a veteran race organiser and an avid runner himself did all the travel and hotel arrangements. The journey to Kuala Lumpur took between 6 and 8 hours. My hotel room-mate was known as Ng Kuan, an MR25 runner. The next day, I felt good to run the race there, although my legs were feeling a little sore from the Saturday Cross-Country race and the long travel, where it is hard to straighten the leg. It was my first day meeting with a great personality like M. Ramachandran.


Start of the KL Half-Marathon Race
At the start of the race, I remember running as a big group and the group was going very fast and I had to tag on to them or I will be left far behind. I used to have a lot of respect for Malaysian runners as they usually win the 1500m, 5000m and 10000m races in the SEA Games, at that time. Here I was competing with a 1500m gold medalist of SEA Games, whose name I have forgotten. The next person that I was competing against was with M. Ramachandran. There was also a Malay runner who was the fastest Malay runner amongst all Malaysians. People revere this Malay runner. I was told that he could represent Malaysian but he just runs races only in Malaysia.

During the race, I tried all my best to cling to these runners. There were several stings of pace pushing by this Malay runner. From a big group of about 12, over time, the group dwindled from 8 to 6 to 4 runners. I was fortunate to be not ousted by the severe sting that this Malay runner was giving us. However, I saw the fluid and ease of running by M. Ramachandran and that made me wonder whether he was tired or not. He seemed like sitting and waiting for the knockout that he might give any time. From the 10km mark, it was the four of us running as a group. The pace was easier to follow as compared to the first few kilometres. Over time, the Malay top runner was not able to shake off the three of us. I was surprised that I have gone past all the runners except for the three runners. That made me at ease.

Last Two Kilometres of KL Half-Marathon Race
As we reached the last two kilometres mark, I saw the surprising surge of M. Ramachandran to give everyone the final knockout. Pursuing him was the 1500m gold medalist for SEA Games. Both runners started to pull the pace further and further from us. Their speed was phenomenal such that the Malay runner and I were just kept running and watching, not having the ability to close up. I told myself to do my best to close up, even though I was seeing the gap becoming bigger. Finally, at the finish, M. Ramachandran did a time of 1hr 12 min plus with the 1500m SEA Games runner doing the same time but few seconds slower. My time was a big personal best of 1hr 14min for that time. Why I was very happy after the race was because the distance was measured by AIMS, an international organisation that certifies the route's distance. Hence, I believe this is very accurate distance. The Malay runner came in third and I came in fourth.

Trengganu Half- Marathon (1990) Aims Certified Route - My most memorable Half - Marathon race ever.
Few years later, after doing 1 hr 15 min 31 sec for the Singapore Open, I ran the Trengganu Half - Marathon. I did a time of 1 hr 10 min 52 sec coming in 7th overall. I realised that I had beaten all the Malaysians in the race except M. Ramachandran. M. Ramachandran did a time of 1 hr 6 min 5 9sec, beating a top Kenyan runner. He came in first to take the M10000 ringgit worth of cash. That race, I believe, was a phenomenal run as many expected the Kenyan top runner to win. In a hot and humid weather like Malaysia, M. Ramachandran could do a fantastic time like that. The race was also AIMS certified. Even though, I have run Johor Half - marathon in 1 hr 07 min coming in second, I feel that that race was not AIMS certified. Hence, I was not happy about this although I had a very good personal best of 1hr 07min in Johore Half - marathon. It was a very memorable day for me. It seems that that race was also the best time M. Ramachandran had ever done.

M. Ramachandran - The Invincible
In my life, I have never seen M. Ramachandran getting defeated in races. He was invincible. M. Ramachandran had always proven that there is no such thing as impossible and he is a symbol of invincibility. He is also a true inspiration for me as an athlete and I used to look up to him in awe. He is a very silent person and he talks less. M. Ramachandran shows by performance. He doesn't put down anyone and is a very simple person where a person can easily talk to him. The great thing about M. Ramachandran is that he is not puffed up with pride. Always he remain humble. Humility was his trademark. Hence, let us find out about this interesting and great personality called M. Ramachandran.

I shall discuss M. Ramachandran interview in three parts.


An Interview with Murusamy Ramachandran - Part One

What is your age and on which year were you born?
Right now I am 44 years old. I was born on 9th April 1966.

Why did you take up running?
I took up running through my own Interest. I was very interested in running.

Can you share with us your personal best for various middle to long distance events?

My Personal Best Timing for Various Distances

800m        - 1:53.14 (1993)
1500m      - 3:51.70 (1993)
3000m      - 8:15.17 (1994)
5000m      - 14:06.84 (1994)
10km        - 29:30.19 (1994)
10km        - 29:05.11 (1993)
Half Mara - 1hr 06.57
25km        - 1hr 17min.55 (1990)
Marathon  - I did not run any marathon race.

What is the Malaysian marathon record, currently?
The Malaysia marathon record time is 2hrs 26min.

What do you think about marathon races? Does that interest you?
I do not prefer to run marathon races.

Who motivated you to run?
My parents and family members motivated me to run.

Can you tell me exactly at which age did you take up running?
Since 15 year old, I took up running seriously.

Which are the events that you are still holding the Malaysian National Record?
At present, I am still the current Malaysia National Record holder for 5000m and 10000m for the track races. 

Are you still holding any SEA Games Record? Can you say where and when did you do it?
I am still the current SEA Games Record holder 5000m with a time of 14:08.97 (1993) and I did this performance in Singapore.

How many medals have you won in the SEA Games so far? Can you tell me how many of them are gold?
In total, I have won 10 medals, of which the first two were 2 silver medals that I had won in the 1987 SEA Games, in my 1st SEA Games performance. I won another 8 GOLD Medals in SEA Games from 1993 to 1999. In each and every SEA Games, I kept winning 2 golds, both in 5000m and 10000m as well.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.