Saturday, May 29, 2010

Emelyne Teo Jia Wei- How to Balance Studies and Sports (Part 3B)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Emelyne Teo Jia Wei - The Practical Part of Studying and Training


2010 Passion Run 25km: 2 hr 10min (champion)

2009 Safra army half marathon: 1hr 41min

2009 Nassim 5km timed trial: 19min 53s

2008 Great Eastern Women 10km: 45min 40s (team champion)
2008 National Schools' Cross Country Championships - 3.14km: 14min 12s (Ind 2nd)

Why did you take up running?
Running, especially long distance running, is something inspirational. It is really true that endurance sports have a great deal of mental strength and self-discipline. One would always get much satisfaction after completing a long run. And trust me, anyone can be a good runner, as long as he or she has the passion to run. Running is also a good way to relieve stress. And it is really something amazing. The more I run, the less tired I feel. I think this has caused my passion for running to grow and eventually led me to take up running.

What motivated you to take up running as a sport?
It is the sense of accomplishment after completing a long run that motivated me to take up running as a sport. It is really biologically proven that running makes you happier by releasing hormones that make you happier. And I would also say that my coach, Mr Rameshon, is another motivation for me to run. Not only has Mr Ram done well in running, but he has also inspired others to take up running by serving as a good role model. He has enlightened me of the true art of running, one that is not defined by extrinsic values.

What was your position in the 2010 Passion Run and how do you feel about it?
My partner and I have come in champion in the 50km Duo Women Category. I feel that it is really an effort of both my partner and I. Honestly, we did not train for the event. We treated the race like a normal long run and only wished to enjoy ourselves. And we had really enjoyed it. I guess it was our passion in running that has brought us the sweet return and again, I would say that anyone can be a good runner as long as he or she has the passion in running.

Did you still run during A Level Examinations? How did you manage to cope with it?
Yes, I still continued running with a few of my teammates during A Level Exams itself. Running is indeed a good way to relieve stress and running with a partner makes it sweeter and more enjoyable. I feel that running really has a great deal with your mind. As long as you enjoy it, it would intrinsically become a part of your life and you do not have to worry about coping with it.

Do you have any advice for balancing sports and studies?
Self-discipline is very important, not only in balancing sports and studies but also in other aspects of life. And it is really possible to balance sports and studies as long as you have the discipline to do so. But ultimately, what I feel that is important in sports is to build up a true passion in it. So I would advice others to see running and sports as a form of relaxation and enjoyment, rather than a chore or task.  
 
The author would like to wish Emelyne Teo best wishes in all her endeavour.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.